Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has identified four primary targets ahead of the summer transfer window, according to reports.
With the 2020/21 season now over, operational planning for the 2021/22 campaign can commence.
Solskjaer will still be reeling after missing out on his first trophy as United manager in soul-crushing fashion on Wednesday.
Exactly 22 years since his strike secured a historic treble for the club in 1999, the stars seemed to have aligned for Solskjaer and his young team in Gdansk.
However, after failing to topple a resilient Villarreal side in 120 minutes of football, United fell short in a gut-wrenching penalty shootout.
Villarreal had netted 11 penalties without fail, whilst United had responded with 10 of their own before David de Gea’s tame effort ended hope of silverware for another season.
With another near-miss now in the background, Solskjaer will be keen to ensure he receives adequate backing this summer before signing a new three-year contract.
According to the Guardian, the Norwegian boss has pinpointed four players he wants to add to his squad, which would accumulate to a spend of more than £300m.
Solskjaer reportedly wants to bolster his options with a new centre-back, central midfielder, right-winger and striker this summer.
Pau Torres, who starred in Villarreal’s triumph over United on Wednesday, is said to be the primary target in defence.
According to reports in Spain, he’s valued at around €30m (£26m) in what poses as a highly affordable deal, should interest in his signature be concrete.
United have also been strongly linked with Real Madrid centre-half Raphael Varane, who should be available for around £60m – potentially double the price of Torres.
Declan Rice is Solskjaer’s preferred midfield target after the 22-year-old captained West Ham United to Europa League qualification this season.
West Ham would reportedly demand as much as £100m for Rice and have no intention of letting the England international leave in the coming months.
On the wing, Borussia Dortmund superstar Jadon Sancho is unsurprisingly still, possibly, the highest priority target of all amid United’s long-standing interest.
Up top, wantaway Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane heads Solskjaer’s list of potential No 9s, despite Edinson Cavani’s recent one-year contract extension.
The report states that the Europa League final defeat hasn’t changed the club’s mindset heading into the summer, with Solskjaer’s plans firmly confirmed.
Sancho is said to be the most likely signing of the mentioned quartet, with Dortmund reportedly likely to lower their asking price after pricing United out last year.
Kane’s arrival is reportedly the least likely, with Premier League champions Manchester City touted as favourites to secure his services.
The report adds that whilst these are Solskjaer’s plans, he’s conscious that four marquee additions are unlikely given the deals’ total sum.
However, he intends to secure at least one new face in each of his four targeted positions to increase the depth and pedigree of his squad ahead of a season of great importance.