Connect with us

Football

Arsenal ‘getting closer and closer’ to £50m deal at the Emirates

Published

on

Arsenal are ‘getting closer and closer’ to reaching an agreement which will see Gabriel Jesus swap Manchester City for the Emirates Stadium, according to Daily Express journalist Ryan Taylor.

The Gunners may have missed out on Champions League qualification after finishing last season fifth in the Premier League standings, but that has not stopped boss Mikel Arteta showing ambition in the transfer market.

It is understood that Arsenal were frustrated in their initial attempts to strike a deal for Jesus as their opening bid of £35million, plus add-ons, was turned down by Manchester City.

Despite that setback and the reigning Premier League champions’ £50million asking price, the Gunners are optimistic that they will succeed in their pursuit.

Arsenal’s hopes of luring Jesus to the Emirates Stadium have been boosted after it emerged that north London rivals Tottenham Hotspur have pulled out of the race for the Brazilian’s signature.

See also  Arsenal official confirms transfer deal with French Club

That will be music to the ears of technical director Edu, who has been holding discussions with Jesus’ representatives for a number of months.

Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has revealed Arsenal are continuing to work on a deal and negotiations are at a very advanced stage.

What has Ryan Taylor said about Jesus?

Taylor understands Arsenal are edging towards reaching a deal for Jesus as Arteta looks to strengthen his attacking options.

The journalist believes the Gunners are the frontrunners for the frontman’s services after Spurs decided against attempting to gazump their arch-rivals.

See also  Arsenal 'hope to bring down club's price for star' as they plot transfer talks his agent

When asked whether Arsenal remain keen to welcome the striker to the Emirates Stadium, Taylor told GIVEMESPORT: “Most definitely. I think, Jesus is now getting closer and closer.

“To be fair, this has been conflicting because other people have reported different figures, but my understanding was that Arsenal had a bid rejected worth £35million, plus add-ons, last week. The idea was that they were going to return with an offer.

“I’ve seen that Alasdair Gold has said that Tottenham are not interested or looking to hijack the deal, so that would suggest Arsenal have a bit of a free run on him unless anything drastic happens out of the blue. From what I understand, as of yesterday, it was getting closer and closer.”

Jesus is a prolific striker, emphasised by the fact he has found the back of the net 116 times over the course of his club career.

See also  Report: Arsenal player wants to stay despite Edu closing on £35M replacement

He would also take no time having to adjust to the rigours of the Premier League as he has made 159 appearances in the competition, scoring on 58 occasions along the way.

However, £50million is a whopping price tag considering Jesus is about to enter the final 12 months of his £91,000-per-week contract at the Etihad Stadium.

Meeting that figure would result in the 25-year-old becoming Arsenal’s fourth most expensive signing of all-time, so they should look to reach a compromise with Manchester City.

Chelsea

Tuchel hands 22-year-old his first Chelsea start – predicted starting XI against Leeds this weekend

Published

on

Chelsea will look to get back to winning ways in Sunday’s game against Leeds United at Elland Road.

The Blues dominated proceedings in the London derby against Spurs last week, however only came out of things with a point following Harry Kane’s late equaliser.

Thomas Tuchel operated a fluid and unique system at Stamford Bridge, with Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Mason Mount especially thriving in the new look system.

However, the Blues could turn back to the recognised back three this weekend, with our predicted lineup for the game against Leeds.

GK and Defence

Edouard Mendy made a brilliant save just before Spurs’ late equaliser at the end, and his position in the squad is more than secure for this one.

See also  Arsenal working on 'complicated and slow' transfer agreement following agent meeting

With there still being no breakthrough on the Wesley Fofana front, Cesar Azpilicueta will return to the starting lineup as captain at Elland Road.

Fixtures are yet to pick up in the early stages of the season, so Thiago Silva should still be fresh and okay to participate again.

The centre-backs will be completed by Kalidou Koulibaly, who showed his quality again in an emphatic display against Spurs.

Midfield

Reece James scored almost instantly after being moved back to wing-back on Sunday, and the Blues will look to get the attacking best out of him on Sunday.

See also  Arsenal 'hope to bring down club's price for star' as they plot transfer talks his agent

Jorginho may have been at fault for the first conceded goal last week, although his great performance will still see him start again against Leeds.

Injuries have ruled N’golo Kante and likely Mateo Kovacic out of the game, there is a big choice to be made to partner the Italy internatonal. While Ruben Loftus-Cheek starred against Spurs, Conor Gallagher will be chosen to partner in midfield, being handed his first start for the club.

Marc Cucurella will look to build on his impressive performance last week with another start against Leeds, with Ben Chilwell still not quite at match fitness.

See also  Report: Arsenal player wants to stay despite Edu closing on £35M replacement

Attack

The Chelsea attack will have a familiar look to the last two weeks, with Mason Mount occupying the free-roaming role in the attack against an opponent he has had a lot of success against before.

Raheem Sterling will try again in his quest to open his Chelsea league account, with him missing a glorious chance last week.

Kai Havertz is another man who missed a great opportunity to win the game for the Blues at the weekend, although his work in the front three was enough to see him start again.

Continue Reading

Football

Atletico Madrid do not want to pay €40 million for Barcelona attacker

Published

on

Atletico Madrid are in a precarious situation in regards to their ownership of Antoine Griezmann.

The Spanish giants had signed the Barcelona forward on a two-year loan deal last summer. The contract included a mandatory purchase option worth €40 million if the player features in 50% of the matches with a minimum of 45 minutes between the games across two seasons.

Last season, Griezmann featured in 82.5% of the matches, meaning Atletico Madrid may have to virtually leave him out on the bench throughout the 2022/23 campaign if they are to avoid paying the fee for the Frenchman in 2023.

See also  Arsenal set to submit new bid after £47m offer for star Midfielder is rejected

However, with Luis Suarez leaving the club, Atletico Madrid consider Griezmann a viable part of the club’s attacking unit and Los Colchoneros must get the best out of him, if they are to regain their lost status in the title race in this new season.

At the same time, the club are not too keen on meeting the mandatory €40 million purchase clause set on Griezmann’s contract. This has been reported by Mundo Deportivo which suggests the club are looking to reduce the overall valuation of the clause.

While Barcelona are yet to respond to Atletico’s overtures, there is a clear indication that the capital club have no intention to pay anywhere near the €40 million for the services of Griezmann, who was barely even a starter for Diego Simeone’s men last season

See also  Player flying for Arsenal medical after saying goodbye to his teammates

The Frenchman was even left out on the bench in Atletico’s opening game against Getafe. However, coming on as a substitute in the final half an hour, the attacker was able to break his scoring duck by netting the third goal in a 3-0 victory.

See also  Arsenal official confirms transfer deal with French Club

It will be interesting to see whether the little cameo compels Simeone to start him in future matches, although his performances should not deter Atletico Madrid from their attempts to lower the price tag of the star striker.

Continue Reading

Chelsea

Barcelona star’s move to Chelsea is now ‘heating up’ – report

Published

on

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang could be close to securing a move to Chelsea from FC Barcelona, with the move now heating up, reports Victor Navarro on COPE.

Aubameyang joined Barça only eight months ago, arriving as a free agent from Arsenal in January. He helped the Catalans finish second in La Liga last season and finished the campaign as the club’s joint top scorer in all competitions along with Memphis Depay

And, Barcelona could now lose both their top scorers this summer. Depay is closing in on a move to Juventus, having reportedly agreed a two-year contract with the Italian giants.

See also  Arsenal are considering signing another 'incredible' South American, but have ruled out swap-deal

And now Aubameyang could be on his way to Chelsea imminently, with the move ‘heating up’ recently. The Blues have made the 33-year-old Gabonese striker their top target after losing both Timo Werner and Romelu Lukaku.

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel enjoyed a successful relationship with Aubameyang during their time at Borussia Dortmund and is now pushing for a reunion.

Reports earlier on Thursday indicated that Chelsea were planning to submit a formal offer for the former Arsenal captain imminently.

See also  Arsenal very interested in Cody Gakpo once again - Report

Now, Victor Navarro is claiming that the two clubs are negotiating over the transfer of the 33-year-old, with all parties intent on getting the move over the line.

Barcelona need to get rid of players so that they can register Jules Kounde and make more additions, with a new right-back and left-back on the club’s agenda.

The departure of Depay alone will not be enough to register Kounde. And with Frenkie de Jong unwilling to leave and no offers arriving for Sergino Dest yet, Aubameyang’s exit seems the best option for Barça.

See also  Report: Arsenal player wants to stay despite Edu closing on £35M replacement

The ex-Arsenal superstar has fallen down the pecking order at Camp Nou this season following the arrival of Robert Lewandowski. A move to Stamford Bridge could see him become the first-choice striker and enjoy regular game-time.

Continue Reading

Trending