Connect with us

Football

Bruno Fernandes respond to late penalty missed as he vow to Man United fans

Published

on

Bruno Fernandes has vowed to ‘come back stronger’ after his costly penalty miss against Aston Villa on Saturday, stating that he will continue to take penalties for Manchester United.

The Red Devils suffered their first Premier League defeat of the season after Kortney Hause’s 88th-minute header secured all three points for Villa.

However, United had the chance to steal a point late into injury-time after goalscorer Hause gave away a penalty following a handball inside the penalty area.

Although Cristiano Ronaldo was still on the pitch, Fernandes took the spot-kick and despite having only missed one penalty in normal time for United, the Portuguese international blazed his strike high over the crossbar.

It was also the first time in his senior career that he had failed to hit the target with a penalty.

🗣 “There are pigeons who are ducking for their lives.”

Reaction to Bruno Fernandes’ penalty miss for Manchester United 😅 pic.twitter.com/A43YTze74k

— Football Daily (@footballdaily) September 25, 2021

Despite squandering the chance to ensure that the Red Devils maintained an unbeaten start to the league season, United’s No 18 has stressed that he will ‘come back stronger’ from the miss.

See also  Gary Neville names reason why Man United have not sacked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer yet

“Nobody is more frustrated and disappointed than me for missing the penalty and the consequent defeat,” Fernandes said on Instagram.

“I’ve always assumed my responsibilities and I’ve always embraced them under pressure in moments like this. Today, I failed. But I took a step forward and faced the challenge with the same ambition and responsibility as when, on the many other occasions, the ball ended up in the net.

See also  Antonio Conte delivers Man United ‘promise’ and plans January raid for Inter duo

“Criticism and contrasting opinions are a big part of football. I’ve learned to live with it, even using them to drive me on, and I consider it all a very important part of my commitment to never stop trying to improve.

“Today I once again took the responsibility given to me almost since I joined United and I will take it again without any fear or dread whenever called upon.

“Thank you for all your support after the final whistle! Hearing you chanting my name in the stadium was very emotional.”I will come back stronger for me, because these are the standards I hold myself to, but most of all for my teammates and our fans who have always supported us.”

See also  Anthony Martial's woes go from 'bad to worse' as Manchester United flop faces summer decision

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer didn’t reveal whether or not Ronaldo would be on penalty duties following Fernandes’ miss, but he did express his anger at the behaviour of the Villa players prior to the spot-kick.

“First of all the way they get round the penalty spot, get round Bruno and all that, that’s not to my liking. Bruno is usually very good in those positions and unfortunately he missed this one,” said the Norwegian.

“It doesn’t get in Bruno’s head. He’s strong mentally and he’ll step forward again. The decision (on who takes penalties) is made before the game.”

United host Villarreal on Wednesday night in the Champions League, hoping to bounce back from three defeats in four games.

Football

Man United enter ‘final negotiation’ to sign £64,000-week-star

Published

on

By

Manchester United are in final negotiations with Barcelona to sign USA defender Sergino Dest, according to Spanish publication Sport.

The Red Devils are keen on bolstering multiple positions before the transfer deadline, and a new right-back is said to be among priorities.

Earlier this month, it was claimed that United are prepared to accelerate Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s exit in order to secure the services of Dest.

It is now reported that United are in the final phase of negotiations with the Blaugrana for Dest, who started his playing career at Ajax.

See also  Anthony Martial's woes go from 'bad to worse' as Manchester United flop faces summer decision

There has been talk over a loan deal with an obligation to buy, but the Catalan giants are quite clear that they want €20 million (£17m) to offload him.

Dest was initially reluctant to leave Barcelona, but has now changed his stance. The 21-year-old is said to welcome a reunion with Erik ten Hag.

Dest would be an ideal right-back for Erik ten Hag

United lacked creativity from the right-back position last term. Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka failed to register a goal or an assist in any competition.

See also  Three transfer deals Manchester United are tipped to complete in January

The trend has remained the same this season. Dalot is now the first-choice, but the Portuguese has started the new campaign in a relatively poor fashion.

Hence, there are no surprises that United are looking to land Dest. The United States star has not lived up to his expectations at Barcelona, but was impressive at Ajax.

Under Ten Hag, he made his debut for the Amsterdam giants in 2019/2020. He had a solid maiden campaign with eight goal contributions from 38 appearances.

See also  Ajax put ‘absolutely huge’ price tags on two players wanted by Arsenal and Man United

A reunion with Ten Hag at United could bring the best out of him. Graduating through the Ajax system, he should be familiar with the playing style under the Dutchman.

At £17m, it seems a no-brainer signing for United. He has not even entered the prime of his career, and won’t command big wages. He is currently on £64,000-a-week.

Continue Reading

Football

Oleksandr Zinchenko left Arsenal teammates to shame in dust with unreal skills in training

Published

on

By

Oleksandr Zinchenko has had a superb start to life at Arsenal.

The versatile Ukrainian signed for the Gunners in a £32 million move from Manchester City this summer.

He has hit the ground running, starting at left-back in each of Arsenal’s opening two Premier League games of the campaign.

Arsenal have won both of those games with Zinchenko even recording an assist in the 2-0 victory over Crystal Palace.

See also  Anthony Martial's woes go from 'bad to worse' as Manchester United flop faces summer decision

Zinchenko’s impressive technical ability has been on full show so far this season.

And he has shown just how good his ball control is in a recent video posted by Arsenal.

Mikel Arteta gave his players a keepie uppie challenge in training.

Players were tasked with keeping the ball in the air from one side of the pitch to the other.

See also  Cristiano Ronaldo’s first day training at Man United is decided ahead of Newcastle clash

If a player let the ground hit the floor they had to go back to the start line and start all over again.

The person that was last to complete the drill was given the forfeit of having to buy the rest of the squad breakfast the following morning.

The drill starts and Arsenal players are nearly all of the players start steadily with the focus on not letting the ball touching the ground.

See also  Three transfer deals Manchester United are tipped to complete in January

Zinchenko didn’t have that mentality, though. The 25-year-old went all out from the start and raced well clear of his teammates.

You can watch it in the embedded video below:

 

Continue Reading

Football

Barcelona were offered the chance to sign Manchester City fullback – report

Published

on

A recent report from Diario SPORT explores Barcelona’s pursuit of a new right-back in these remaining weeks of the summer transfer window.

Unhappy with the performances and overall growth of Sergino Dest, Xavi is actively looking for various options in the market. The likes of Juan Foyth and Thomas Meunier have emerged as the prime targets for the club.

But as per the report, Barcelona were offered the opportunity to sign another option in the form of Issa Kabore. The Manchester City youngster was handed to the Catalans, who had not ruled out the option in light of the desperation in the right-back unit.

See also  Report: Man United to complete deal for 24-years old South American star with fresh £51m bid

Formerly of Mechelen, Kabore is one of the brightest defensive talents coming out of Belgium in recent years. He notably enjoyed a breakthrough season on loan at Troyes last season, racking up 31 league appearances and even registering two assists.

Manchester City offered Barcelona the opportunity to snap him up for a fee of just €10 million. However, the club failed to secure the services of Kabore, who has recently joined Olympique Marseille.

Following his breakthrough in Ligue 1, the French giants were determined to sign the youngster in the summer. They were able to secure his signature as well, reaching a loan agreement with Manchester City that will keep him at OM until the end of the 2022/23 campaign.

See also  Ajax put ‘absolutely huge’ price tags on two players wanted by Arsenal and Man United

There are reports that the Premier League giants have reserved the right to re-sign the player in the future, should he join Marseille permanently in the summer of 2023.

See also  Anthony Martial's woes go from 'bad to worse' as Manchester United flop faces summer decision

Barcelona, for their part, might not be fazed by Kabore’s move to Olympique Marseille. However, the Catalans are desperately looking for a new right-back and must quickly make a move in the market, if they are to find a reliable replacement for Sergino Dest this summer.

Thomas Meunier and Juan Foyth are the two players targeted by the Blaugrana, although it remains to be seen whether any of them are up for sale, especially in these late stages of the summer transfer window.

Continue Reading

Trending