Connect with us

Football

Bruno Fernandes ‘urged Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to change tactics’ before Atalanta comeback

Published

on

Bruno Fernandes reportedly ‘urged Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to change his tactics’ before Manchester United’s second half comeback against Atalanta on Wednesday night.

The Red Devils trailed the Italian side 2-0 at half-time following a below par first half performance at Old Trafford in their Champions League clash.

However, a spirited second half comeback and goals from Marcus Rashford, Harry Maguire and Cristiano Ronaldo turned the result on its head and delivered a 3-2 victory that could prove crucial to qualification for the knockout stage.

The change in United’s play and tempo is understood to have stemmed from Fernandes urging his manager to switch the approach at half-time.

When the United players entered the home dressing room on Wednesday, Ronaldo is reported to have blasted his teammates by shouting: “Are you not ashamed?!”

See also  Man United’s different XI if Antonio Conte replaced Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as Journalist gives update

Goals from Mario Pasalic and Merih Demiral had punished a lacklustre United display in the opening 45 minutes and left them trailing once more in Europe.

 is believed that Solskjaer then calmed the situation in the dressing room and told his players that the game was still there to be won.

He urged his team to get the first goal of the second half in order to keep them in the match.

Fernandes then reportedly told the Norwegian that his tactics had to change as he had been forced to drop deeper in order to get on the ball during the first half.

See also  Ralf Rangnick identifies two Man United problems during Newcastle draw

The half-time switch in tactics and approach paid off just seven minutes after the break as Fernandes’ outside of the foot ball round the corner set up Rashford for United’s first goal.

It was also the former Sporting Lisbon midfielder’s cross which led to the equaliser as Maguire lashed the ball home at the far post.

Fernandes spoke to the media after the match and insisted that the players are in full support of the under pressure Solskjaer.

“We have a lot to improve on and the coach also knows there has to be some improvement at their end but that is part of football,” said Fernandes post-match.

See also  Manchester United re-sign ex-academy star as he's 'extremely pleased to be back' at the club

“Every day we are learning something new. But football is the present and it’s the now.

“We fully support him. He’s our manager, we follow his ideas and believe in them.

“Of course players start to get a bit suspicious when they don’t play or when things don’t go well…

“But, honestly, footballers are annoying. We think we’re always right.

“Look, I can think one way is better and my team-mate can think the other way is the best one, so how could we decide which one is better?

“That’s why we have to follow the manager’s ideas. His ideas might be right or wrong, but we’re sticking with it until the end.”

Football

Barcelona youngster in line to bench Jordi Alba for Real Sociedad clash – report

Published

on

As Barcelona drew 0-0 against Rayo Vallecano for the season opener, Jordi Alba was among the five to be substituted off to make way for offensive depth. The Spaniard is usually among the brightest offensive outlets in the team, but failed to make an impact last week.

Alba also looked out of his depth during pre-season, and it was reported that people within Barcelona were surprised that he started over Alejandro Balde.

See also  Jadon Sancho 'loves' the idea of £77m Man Utd transfer having already agreed contract

The 18-year-old was impressive during the run-up to the league opener, and was expected to take Alba’s place in the lineup.

While that did not happen vs Rayo, Javi Miguel reports that he is in line to start against Real Sociedad as the left-back. Xavi has informed Balde about his decision, and has told him to train with high intensity leading up to the game.

See also  Three Man United youngsters impressing Erik ten hang in training, with new boss shocked by one

Balde has been linked with an exit from Barcelona, especially given Marcos Alonso’s imminent arrival. However, an impressive performance at Anoeta could open the doors for his continuity.

The Chelsea defender has reportedly completed his move to Barcelona, subject to registrations and signatures. The club plan to announce it in the coming days if they are able to register Jules Kounde in time for the game.

Balde played in every single one of Barça’s pre-season fixtures, even registering an assist — to Raphinha —, against Inter Miami.

See also  Phil Foden's warning to Man United ahead of first home game since Liverpool humiliation

Barcelona fans will hope the gamble pays dues, especially because it will likely not go down well with Alba, who is one of the team captains

Continue Reading

Football

Barcelona yet to receive any offers for exit-bound right back, price tag sits at €20m

Published

on

Barcelona are said to be pushing Sergino Dest towards an exit, but a recent report from journalist Adria Albets has confirmed that the player does not have any offer at the moment.

Regardless of what has been said in the past, neither have Manchester United tabled any formal offer for the right-back, nor have they made contacts with the 21-year-old’s representative.

For the moment, Barcelona are clear pretty clear about offloading Dest but in order to fulfil the operation, they are demanding in excess of €20 million.

See also  New signing looking 'really good' in training says Man United star

For that particular reason, his agents are finding it hard to find a suitor as no club is willing to match the valuation for a player who is already fallen down the pecking order.

Xavi has so far preferred to use make-shift centre-back, Ronald Araujo, as a full-back. And while the Uruguayan has done well at times, it’s pretty clear that the team is looking to bring in a full-time right-back this summer.

For that, several players such as Hector Bellerin, Juan Foyth, Diogo Dalot, Thomas Meunier and Jeremie Frimpong have been considered, but there remain several complications in carrying out the operation

See also  Man United boss Ralf Rangnick have to move back to unique Harry Maguire selection as quickly as possible

To begin with, Villarreal’s valuation of €42 million for Juan Foyth is proving to be a hindrance.

Barcelona are finding themselves in this situation mostly because their attempt to sign a certain Cesar Azpilicueta failed.

Meanwhile, as far as Dest is concerned, he knows in order to get regular minutes, he needs to move away from Camp Nou, but Barcelona’s asking price of €20 million is putting a stop to his desire.

See also  Man United’s different XI if Antonio Conte replaced Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as Journalist gives update

Manchester United were thought to be weighing up a fresh move worth €20 million for the defender, but the Premier League side is yet to make any formal move. Hence, the Dutch-born American defender continues to train within the Barcelona ranks for the time being.

Continue Reading

Football

Report: Chelsea prepared to listen to offers for their ‘huge talent’, will demand nearly £60m

Published

on

Report: Chelsea prepared to listen to offers for their ‘huge talent’, will demand nearly £60m

Chelsea would reportedly prefer to sell Christian Pulisic rather than loan him out this summer.

According to The Sun, Manchester United are interested in signing the 23-year-old Blues attacker on loan

is understood that Chelsea would rather offload the American on a permanent basis, though.

The report says they’ll listen to offers for Pulisic during the next couple of weeks, but want to recuperate the full £58million they paid for him a few years ago.

See also  Ralf Rangnick identifies two Man United problems during Newcastle draw

With Chelsea demanding nearly £60million for the forward, will any club step forward with a bid?

Chelsea prefer to sell Pulisic

It makes little sense doing Man United a favour by sending them Pulisic on loan, so you can fully understand why a permanent transfer would make much more sense.

Described as a “huge talent” earlier this year by Gary Neville, Pulisic is a player that frustrates supporters at Stamford Bridge.

See also  Ralf Rangnick names Man United player he would 'love' to play more often

The winger can produce moments of brilliance in the final third, but there’s no major consistency in his game.

He finished last season with eight goals and five assists in 38 matches across all competitions, which wasn’t a bad return considering he missed a couple of months with an ankle problem

However, the United States international can’t seem to become a real favourite under Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel.

See also  Manchester United re-sign ex-academy star as he's 'extremely pleased to be back' at the club

His 2019/20 campaign is proof of what a talented player he can be.

The forward had 21 direct goal contributions in 34 Blues appearances, but it was a familiar case of injuries interrupting him whenever he builds up some momentum.

It would be quite a surprise if a clubs willing to fork out a near-£60million sum for him.

Keep up to date with all the latest Chelsea news and opinion by following The Chelsea Chronicle’s Facebook and Twitter accounts

Continue Reading

Trending