Connect with us

Football

Cristiano Ronaldo asks Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to make change to Man United’s style of play

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has asked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to change Manchester United’s style of play to get the most out of him.

The Portugal legend has scored five goals in five matches since returning to Old Trafford over the summer, netting a dramatic injury-time winner in Wednesday’s Champions League victory over Villarreal.

Ronaldo is more than content with his contributions for Manchester United so far but has already made it clear to Solskjaer that he can increase his goal ratio further if the team become quicker in the opposition half.

ESPN say the five-time Ballon d’Or winner wants United’s defenders to get the ball to the forwards more quickly, with Solskjaer’s side somewhat flattering to deceive despite their strong summer transfer window.

As well as signing Ronaldo, Manchester United also brought Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane to the Theatre of Dreams this summer and Solskjaer wants his team to be more ruthless, starting on Saturday when Everton visit Old Trafford.

The Red Devils have already dropped five points in the league this season after losing at home to Aston Villa last weekend, while they were beaten in their opening Champions League fixture.

Manchester United have lost just one of their past 12 Premier League meetings with Everton – recording six wins and five draws – with their defeat coming in April 2019 at Goodison Park.

Solskjaer’s side fell behind against Villarreal during the week but equalised through Alex Telles and completed the comeback when Ronaldo fired home an injury-time winner.

By helping Manchester United secure a ‘huge result’ against Spanish side Villarreal, Ronaldo once again showed he is a ‘natural born winner’, according to Clinton Morrison.

The former Crystal Palace striker told BBC Radio 5 Live: ‘Ronaldo was fairly quiet for most of the game but big footballers and the best players in the world always come up with the goods when their team needs it.

‘That’s what Ronaldo has done ever since he has come back to United. He has delivered.  A lot of people questioned him with his age – will he be able to deliver? Of course he can.

‘He keeps himself in great condition, he keeps on going and he is a natural born winner. That is what he showed again.’

Football

Rio Ferdinand issues major warning about Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag

Published

on

By

Former centre-back Rio Ferdinand believes it is still too early to judge whether Erik ten Hag is the right man to lead Manchester United back to the top, despite their unquestionable improvement under him this season.

United head into tomorrow’s Manchester derby against City at Old Trafford with the knowledge that a win will lift them to within a point and place of their neighbours in the Premier League table.

The Reds have lost just one of their last 18 matches since being battered 6-3 by City back in October, featuring a current run of eight wins on the bounce.

The Reds, such is the level of progress they have made under Ten Hag this season, are now considered as one of the favourites to qualify for the Champions League for next season.

They have made significant strides in a relatively short space of time and victories over the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur already this season have proven that they are capable of competing in the upper echelons of the table again.

However, despite heading into the second half of the campaign with form in their sails, Ferdinand insists the jury is still out on Ten Hag, despite him reaching 20 wins as United manager quick than any of his predecessors.

“I think it’s too early to say,” said Ferdinand to the Mirror. “We’ve been here with previous managers when it looks like we are onto something.

“We’ve got to be patient and give the man time. I think all the signs are very positive at the moment. He’s come in and seen what is happening, assessed how things are, looked at individuals and looked at the shape of the team.

“These were a bunch of players that were quite low. They were shot to pieces and he’s had to build, not only footballers, but men back up again. He’s had to build a lot of human beings back up and that takes time.

“The fact he’s now talking about qualifying for the Champions League so positively, he can sense a confidence coming back into this team. There’s a consistency of performance from the team that wasn’t there before and the signals and signs are all very promising.

“But they’re still not where they want to be. City are way ahead of where United are. The distance is a bit closer, but it’s still not anywhere near where we want it to be. There’s still work to be done.”

Continue Reading

Football

Manchester United takeover bids ‘expected imminently’ with serious interest in Club

Published

on

By

Manchester United are expecting takeover offers from across the world as they are set to invite bids ahead of ‘mid-February deadline’.

The Telegraph have reported that the club have received ‘serious interest’ from consortiums based in the Middle East, Asia and the United States.

British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe is also weighing up an offer, as the Glazers hope to the sell one of the biggest clubs in the world for over £5billion.

The report also adds that parties who had been interested in taking over Chelsea, before Todd Boehly’s £4.25bn takeover, are set to return with approaches for the Red Devils.

It’s expected that potential investors will go public with their attempts to buy United in the coming weeks with the clock ‘now ticking on a deal’.

Senior United figures will issue a mid February deadline for formal offers in order to help get get the takeover completed before the end of the season.

Continue Reading

Football

Confirmed: Chelsea ready to make late bid to hijack another Arsenal transfer

Published

on

By

Chelsea will make a late attempt to scupper Arsenal’s hopes of finally signing Mikhailo Mudryk from Shakhtar Donetsk.

The Gunners have submitted their third bid for the Ukraine international winger and hope an offer of £62m before add-ons, which take the deal closer to £70m, will be enough to break the deadlock between the two clubs.

Chelsea’s interest in the 21-year-old winger was earlier this week described only as ‘exploratory’ but ESPN now claim that Todd Boehly will test the waters and attempt to throw a spanner in the works for the Premier League leaders.

Shakhtar’s technical director Darijo Srna was pictured at Stamford Bridge last week as he watched Chelsea’s defeat against Manchester City and Boehly would have little issue with meeting an asking price which is closer to £88million.

Arsenal are said to be confident that their latest bid for Mudryk will be enough to finally secure the services of their No.1 January target, but have already been beaten to the punch once this month by their west London rivals.

Chelsea won the race to sign Joao Felix on loan from Atletico Madrid amid competition from Arsenal and Manchester United, but the Portugal international’s promising debut ended in devastating fashion when he was sent off just shy of the hour mark for a dangerous challenge on Fulham’s Kenny Tete.

Felix will now miss the next three games through suspension as the problems mount for Chelsea’s under-fire manager Graham Potter.

‘It sums up where we are at the moment – everything that can go wrong, is going wrong,’ Potter said after Chelsea’s 2-1 west London derby defeat.

‘It was a forward’s tackle from Joao, there was no malice in it but I understand why it was a red. It is another blow the hits keep coming at the moment.

‘He was really good you could see his quality in the game so it is doubly disappointing for us because he was looking dangerous throughout.

‘I don’t think there was too much malice in it and it is an unfortunate action and we are going to lose him now for three games.’

Continue Reading

Trending