Connect with us

Football

Cristiano Ronaldo’s ‘frustrations’ with team-mate evident in Manchester derby

Published

on

After back-to-back Premier League defeats at Old Trafford, the last thing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer can afford is friction between his players.

However, Manchester United’s 2-0 loss to Manchester City added weight to claims of disharmony in the ranks, specifically between Cristiano Ronaldo and Mason Greenwood.

Solskjaer has reverted to a back-five system which uses two centre-forwards since the 5-0 defeat by Liverpool, with Edinson Cavani his preferred choice to partner Ronaldo up front.

The veteran duo showed what they are capable of against Tottenham Hotspur as Ronaldo, who scored the opener, assisted his strike partner to set United on course for a much-needed 3-0 victory.

Cavani and Ronaldo have a combined age of 70, but they make up for what they lack in pace with their finely-tuned attacking instincts.

See also  Man United chief John Murtough 'boards flight' to seal fourth summer signing for Erik ten Hag

Their combined performance in north London gave Red Devils fans a glimpse of a set-up which was potent on the counter-attack while sturdy in defence.

Cavani and Ronaldo were expected to continue their partnership in Saturday’s Manchester derby, but Solskjaer’s plans were thrown into disarray on Friday as the Uruguayan was ruled out through injury.

The 34-year-old made an appearance off the bench in the 2-2 draw with Atalanta on Tuesday despite suffering with severe pain in his tendon since the victory at Spurs.

See also  Three transfer deals Manchester United are tipped to complete in January

“We’ve had a couple of issues since Italy; Edi has been one of them,” Solskjaer told MUTV before the derby.

In Cavani’s absence, Solskjaer may have wanted to turn to Marcus Rashford to partner Ronaldo, but the Englishman was only fit enough to make the bench against City due to an injury of his own.

This left Greenwood as the obvious option to line up alongside the five-time Ballon d’Or winner, but the pair failed to strike up a potent understanding.

This is hardly surprising given Ronaldo’s opinion of his young teammate.

The Portugal captain has been left frustrated by Greenwood’s tendency to shoot on sight rather than look to assist him at earlier points this season, according to reports in late October.

See also  Jadon Sancho's brilliant England display could actually be bad news for Man United

The 20-year-old is regarded as a brilliant finisher, but Ronaldo is undoubtedly the focal point in attack and requires a selfless partner in the Cavani mould to flourish.

There was a distinct lack of synergy in United’s toothless attack and they mustered just one shot on target against City.

The Greenwood-Ronaldo experiment failed, leaving Solskjaer sweating for a positive update on Cavani’s condition and adding weight to Ronaldo’s reported opinion that the pair are simply not a good fit together.

Football

Report: Chelsea agree personal terms with Inter Milan superstar

Published

on

By

Chelsea look to be closing in on the signing of 19-year-old midfielder Cesare Casadei.

The Blues are reportedly agreeing personal terms with the Inter Milan youngster ahead of what is expected to be a €15m (plus add-ons) transfer. Inter had been looking for around €20m all told.

As per Fabrizio Romano, and others, the highly promising Italy youth international, though who has yet to make his senior professional debut, has agreed a six-year deal with the Blues, choosing Chelsea over the likes of OGC Nice in France and US Sassuolo in Italy.

Presumably, Casadei will not be joining the Chelsea first-team right away, though post-Brexit work permit rules are fairly esoteric and confusing.

See also  Chelsea and Man United make enquiry over 22-years old center-back transfer this summer

Perhaps he will end up joining one of the aforementioned teams on loan to build up the necessary professional experience? Just speculating…

See also  Man United receive massive cash boost as Cristiano Ronaldo shirt sales reach record levels

While the two teams have yet to agree a transfer, this looks to be drawing to a successful conclusion for us, adding yet another teenager talent to the team as we look to build for not only this season but for many seasons in the future.

See also  Man United chief Richard Arnold urged to avoid Ed Woodward repeat with new manager decision
Continue Reading

Football

Mikel Arteta drops Youri Tielemans hint as Arsenal can sign ‘more complete’ N’Golo Kante

Published

on

By

Today’s Arsenal transfer round-up on Tuesday, August 16.

Tielemans hint

Mikel Arteta’s increased use of Granit Xhaka could mean that Arsenal are close to giving up on transfer target Youri Tielemans.

The Gunners are still chasing a deal for the Leicester City midfielder but have seen their chances dwindle of doing a deal this summer and now, despite Xhaka previously saying he had come close to leaving, the club could have to do without a new addition.

Xhaka is now part of a new leadership group at the Emirates Stadium, a possible indication that he may remain at the club and throw a move for Tielemans into doubt.

See also  Jadon Sancho's brilliant England display could actually be bad news for Man United

Kante replacement

With Tielemans becoming less and less attainable this season, Arsenal have reportedly turned their attention elsewhere.

According to the Express, Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo is attracting interest from some of Europe’s top clubs including the Gunners and Manchester United. Having been previously compared with Kante, Arsenal’s desire to sign Caicedo is understandable.

See also  Man United have three players who need dropping after Everton Premier League draw

South American football expert Tim Vickery said, “A year ago he was saying that Kante of Chelsea is his role model but he is already more than that. He already offers more in the final third.”

Yeremi Pino flight explained

Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has cleared the air regarding Yeremi Pino and denies that a bid has been made for him.

Romano told CaughtOffside, “Many clubs have been following Yeremi Pino for months, he is a top player of the future that at least three Premier League clubs have been monitoring for some time.

See also  Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms another defensive setback ahead of Manchester derby

“No proposals have been made yet to Villarreal, who would like more than €50m for their young star; it will not be an easy negotiation.

“As for the rumours about Arsenal – Edu was not travelling to Spain to meet Villarreal, also because Pino’s agents are based in the UK (Stellar Group).”

Continue Reading

Football

Erik Ten Hag believes £64,000 a week player will agree to join Man United – Report

Published

on

By

Despite signing two defenders this summer, Manchester United’s backline has been terrible this season and yet another defender is linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Yesterday, we covered a story (via Sport) claiming that the Red Devils have submitted an offer to sign Sergino Dest, who has received a clear message to leave Barcelona.

Today, the Spanish news source have covered another report and stated that the American international has not been able to impress in the last two years, moreover, he failed to convince Xavi in pre-season. Therefore, his exit is considered essential.

See also  Man United have three players who need dropping after Everton Premier League draw

Erik ten Hag wants to get rid of Aaron Wan-Bissaka this summer so that he can complete the signing of Dest, who is valued at 20 million euros.

The Catalan media outlet claim the Dutch manager believes that the 21-year-old Barca defender will agree (say Yes) to join Man United.

See also  Manchester United move closer to David Raum deal after Hoffenheim drop transfer hint

Ten Hag really needs to understand that players from the Netherlands or connections with Ajax are not guaranteed to solve the conundrum at Old Trafford.

Under Van Gaal, Depay and Blind failed to shine for Man United. For Ten Hag, thus far, the likes of Eriksen, Martinez and Malacia have not settled.

See also  Man United chief Richard Arnold urged to avoid Ed Woodward repeat with new manager decision

Now, he is pushing to sign another ex Ajax player in the form of Dest. The American was a hit in the Eredivisie but has proved to be average in the La Liga.

The youngster’s current contract at the Nou Camp will expire in 2025 and he earns around £64,000 a week (The Sun).

Continue Reading

Trending