Connect with us

Football

Edinson Cavani has told Man United fans what he thinks of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Published

on

It seems Ole Gunnar Solskjaer no longer knows which players he can trust at Manchester United.

Liverpool were ruthlessly dominant against United at the weekend and they didn’t leave second gear. The result was a revealing – yet not surprising – indictment of where United actually find themselves under Solskjaer’s troubled leadership and it’s genuinely remarkable that he’ll be in charge against Tottenham this weekend. There’s simply no more margin for error.

While it’s Solskjaer’s tactical failures that have pushed him to the brink, the Norwegian’s man-management skills have never been in question. Solskjaer has previously admitted that he views man-management as ‘an art or a science’ and it’s an area he excels in.

It is therefore incredibly worrying that noise has emerged from the United dressing room this week in the wake of Sunday’s debacle.

The MEN revealed on Monday that certain members of the squad are becoming increasingly bemused by some of Solskjaer’s selections, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg regarding the dressing room noise. It seems he can’t stop the Titanic from sinking.

See also  Rangnick ‘identifies’ three potential signings Man United could make to fix ‘area of weakness’

Such is the frustration at Carrington, Solskjaer will no longer know which players he’s able to trust. His greatest strength has suddenly become a glaring weakness and the United boss will have to ignore the dressing room noise with his team selection against Spurs.

While it was United’s defensive fragility exacerbated by their tactical deficiencies that seemed the most pressing issue to solve from the Liverpool performance, there’s one particular player that Solskjaer could turn to in attack to reinvigorate his forward line.

Edinson Cavani was a resounding success at United last season after his arrival on a free transfer from Paris Saint-Germain. The 34-year-old emphatically quashed doubts over his ability to still perform at an elite level and his world-class movement and innate ability to find the back of the net immediately endeared him to supporters – Cavani was the striker that United fans have always wanted.

See also  ‘Very talented’: Rooney hail Man United Star who can 'really hurt' opponents

Cavani’s brace against Southampton on the south coast and an audacious lofted chip against Fulham were his finest moments of the campaign, but there were many others in the highlight reel – he scored 17 goals in total – and he seemed a certain starter this term.

The Uruguay star was persuaded to extend his contract for this season and, upon that announcement, he subsequently revealed his delight at the decision. “I have developed a great affection for the club and everything that it represents,” Cavani said.

“From the very first moment that I arrived, I felt the confidence of the manager. As a player, this belief gives you the perfect opportunity to play your best football and I want to thank him for that.”

If Cavani felt that confidence of Solskjaer then, though, what must he feel now after only playing 170 minutes this season?

After Cristiano Ronaldo’s arrival, Cavani has been limited to sporadic involvement and that would have seemed an absurd prospect for the match-going supporters who left Old Trafford on the final home game of the Premier League season against Fulham in May.

See also  Manchester United star is unhappy under Rangnick and here is why

Ronaldo’s record – he’s scored six goals in 10 games this season – speaks for itself, however, Cavani has proven he can match those levels in front of goal while he can also offer United another dimension going forward which Ronaldo can’t.

United have looked pedestrian when attempting to orchestrate attacks this season and, against a Nuno Espirito Santo side which will defend with the low block, Cavani seems the clear and obvious choice over Ronaldo to break through the lines towards goal.

Cavani placed his faith in Solskjaer this season when signing a new deal despite his family wanting him to return home.

Solskjaer needs to repay that trust just at the time when he’s beginning to lose allies – he needs to start Cavani against Tottenham.

Football

Report: Chelsea agree personal terms with Inter Milan superstar

Published

on

By

Chelsea look to be closing in on the signing of 19-year-old midfielder Cesare Casadei.

The Blues are reportedly agreeing personal terms with the Inter Milan youngster ahead of what is expected to be a €15m (plus add-ons) transfer. Inter had been looking for around €20m all told.

As per Fabrizio Romano, and others, the highly promising Italy youth international, though who has yet to make his senior professional debut, has agreed a six-year deal with the Blues, choosing Chelsea over the likes of OGC Nice in France and US Sassuolo in Italy.

Presumably, Casadei will not be joining the Chelsea first-team right away, though post-Brexit work permit rules are fairly esoteric and confusing.

See also  ‘Very talented’: Rooney hail Man United Star who can 'really hurt' opponents

Perhaps he will end up joining one of the aforementioned teams on loan to build up the necessary professional experience? Just speculating…

See also  Rangnick ‘identifies’ three potential signings Man United could make to fix ‘area of weakness’

While the two teams have yet to agree a transfer, this looks to be drawing to a successful conclusion for us, adding yet another teenager talent to the team as we look to build for not only this season but for many seasons in the future.

See also  Manchester United's strongest possible line up if they return vs Newcastle
Continue Reading

Football

Mikel Arteta drops Youri Tielemans hint as Arsenal can sign ‘more complete’ N’Golo Kante

Published

on

By

Today’s Arsenal transfer round-up on Tuesday, August 16.

Tielemans hint

Mikel Arteta’s increased use of Granit Xhaka could mean that Arsenal are close to giving up on transfer target Youri Tielemans.

The Gunners are still chasing a deal for the Leicester City midfielder but have seen their chances dwindle of doing a deal this summer and now, despite Xhaka previously saying he had come close to leaving, the club could have to do without a new addition.

Xhaka is now part of a new leadership group at the Emirates Stadium, a possible indication that he may remain at the club and throw a move for Tielemans into doubt.

See also  Bruno Fernandes 'ignored' Ole Gunnar Solskjaer instructions to overrule Cristiano Ronaldo

Kante replacement

With Tielemans becoming less and less attainable this season, Arsenal have reportedly turned their attention elsewhere.

According to the Express, Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo is attracting interest from some of Europe’s top clubs including the Gunners and Manchester United. Having been previously compared with Kante, Arsenal’s desire to sign Caicedo is understandable.

See also  ‘Very talented’: Rooney hail Man United Star who can 'really hurt' opponents

South American football expert Tim Vickery said, “A year ago he was saying that Kante of Chelsea is his role model but he is already more than that. He already offers more in the final third.”

Yeremi Pino flight explained

Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has cleared the air regarding Yeremi Pino and denies that a bid has been made for him.

Romano told CaughtOffside, “Many clubs have been following Yeremi Pino for months, he is a top player of the future that at least three Premier League clubs have been monitoring for some time.

See also  Club £60m move could push star closer to Man United Reds waiting for the transfer

“No proposals have been made yet to Villarreal, who would like more than €50m for their young star; it will not be an easy negotiation.

“As for the rumours about Arsenal – Edu was not travelling to Spain to meet Villarreal, also because Pino’s agents are based in the UK (Stellar Group).”

Continue Reading

Football

Erik Ten Hag believes £64,000 a week player will agree to join Man United – Report

Published

on

By

Despite signing two defenders this summer, Manchester United’s backline has been terrible this season and yet another defender is linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Yesterday, we covered a story (via Sport) claiming that the Red Devils have submitted an offer to sign Sergino Dest, who has received a clear message to leave Barcelona.

Today, the Spanish news source have covered another report and stated that the American international has not been able to impress in the last two years, moreover, he failed to convince Xavi in pre-season. Therefore, his exit is considered essential.

See also  Ralf Rangnick hits out at Jesse Lingard after Manchester United defeat

Erik ten Hag wants to get rid of Aaron Wan-Bissaka this summer so that he can complete the signing of Dest, who is valued at 20 million euros.

The Catalan media outlet claim the Dutch manager believes that the 21-year-old Barca defender will agree (say Yes) to join Man United.

See also  Paul Pogba names Chelsea star as the most beloved player in history of Football

Ten Hag really needs to understand that players from the Netherlands or connections with Ajax are not guaranteed to solve the conundrum at Old Trafford.

Under Van Gaal, Depay and Blind failed to shine for Man United. For Ten Hag, thus far, the likes of Eriksen, Martinez and Malacia have not settled.

See also  Man United are preparing for next manager with formation change

Now, he is pushing to sign another ex Ajax player in the form of Dest. The American was a hit in the Eredivisie but has proved to be average in the La Liga.

The youngster’s current contract at the Nou Camp will expire in 2025 and he earns around £64,000 a week (The Sun).

Continue Reading

Trending