Connect with us

Football

Erik ten Hag’s position on Donny van de Beek after new Man Utd development

Published

on

 

Manchester United have reportedly made contact with Erik ten Hag as they ponder their managerial options. 

Ralf Rangnick was given the role on an interim basis after the sacking of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in November but, despite steading the ship, the 63-year-old isn’t expected to land the job on a permanent basis.

Instead, Ten Hag may be the one given the chance to bring the glory days back to Old Trafford.

Manchester United are currently being linked with plenty of managers as they consider permanent replacements for Solskjaer.

Mauricio Pochettino is one option, with the Paris Saint-Germain boss expected to leave the Ligue 1 titans amid links from France to Zinedine Zidane.

Carlo Ancelotti has emerged as another candidate, with the Italian potentially facing the sack at Real Madrid should they fail to win the Champions League.

And the likes of Roberto Mancini, Luis Enrique and Graham Potter have all been tipped as potential targets, too.

See also  Man United have already signed two perfect players for Frenkie de Jong ahead of expected deal

On Thursday, however, Jonathan Shrager claimed United had contacted Ten Hag about taking over at the club.

“Ten Hag has been contacted by United to find out about his situation,” he said.

Should Ten Hag move to Old Trafford, he’ll inherit Donny van de Beek.

He formerly managed his fellow Dutchman at Ajax, helping the 24-year-old become a household name around the world.

And Ten Hag, it seems, would be willing to give Van de Beek more of a chance at the club than predecessors Rangnick and Solskjaer.

Solskjaer barely played the midfielder prior to his sacking in November, which took place mere hours after a chastening 4-1 defeat to Watford.

And Van de Beek’s chances were limited under Rangnick, too, prior to joining Everton on loan during the summer transfer window.

See also  Chelsea transfer round-up: Antonio Rudiger replacement 'identified' as defender offered out

Ten Hag, however, made it clear exactly what he thought about the midfielder’s lack of action when speaking earlier in the season.

He suggested the Red Devils hadn’t treated Van de Beek well in the slightest, labelling their stance as a ‘mortal sin’.

Ten Hag said in December: “Donny, I find that hard.

“[It’s a] mortal sin. If you haven’t had a chance yet, then development will also stall.

“Every now and then you encourage them.”

Ten Hag also said at the time that he was ready for the ‘next step’ in his managerial career amid interest from United.

“I think I’m ready for it [the next step]. I would be happy to take up that challenge,” he added.

“But I’m not chasing it. If it turns out that that step will never come, I will not say that my coaching career has failed.

See also  Eden Hazard's damning Chelsea U-turn after Roman Abramovich's plea to Real Madrid star

“But I think I have sufficient competencies to take on that challenge.”

Van de Beek, meanwhile, recently admitted he wanted to prove people ‘wrong’ during his time at Everton.

“Yes [I have a point to prove] but it is also for everyone around me,” he said.

“If I play well, I do it for them, for my girlfriend and for my family and friends.

“I want to give joy to those people and to the fans.

“Then I want to do it for myself.

“Of course sometimes I am disappointed and frustrated.

“But I always try to stay positive and believe there will be a day it will change.

“I can only change it with hard work, I want to show that some people are wrong and I still have the quality to play. I always aim to do this.”

Football

Barcelona youngster in line to bench Jordi Alba for Real Sociedad clash – report

Published

on

As Barcelona drew 0-0 against Rayo Vallecano for the season opener, Jordi Alba was among the five to be substituted off to make way for offensive depth. The Spaniard is usually among the brightest offensive outlets in the team, but failed to make an impact last week.

Alba also looked out of his depth during pre-season, and it was reported that people within Barcelona were surprised that he started over Alejandro Balde.

See also  Man United 'in direct' with former Fc Barcelona Boss over interim Manager role.

The 18-year-old was impressive during the run-up to the league opener, and was expected to take Alba’s place in the lineup.

While that did not happen vs Rayo, Javi Miguel reports that he is in line to start against Real Sociedad as the left-back. Xavi has informed Balde about his decision, and has told him to train with high intensity leading up to the game.

See also  Medical expert claims 'massive surprise' after Man United Covid update

Balde has been linked with an exit from Barcelona, especially given Marcos Alonso’s imminent arrival. However, an impressive performance at Anoeta could open the doors for his continuity.

The Chelsea defender has reportedly completed his move to Barcelona, subject to registrations and signatures. The club plan to announce it in the coming days if they are able to register Jules Kounde in time for the game.

Balde played in every single one of Barça’s pre-season fixtures, even registering an assist — to Raphinha —, against Inter Miami.

See also  Man United have already signed two perfect players for Frenkie de Jong ahead of expected deal

Barcelona fans will hope the gamble pays dues, especially because it will likely not go down well with Alba, who is one of the team captains

Continue Reading

Football

Barcelona yet to receive any offers for exit-bound right back, price tag sits at €20m

Published

on

Barcelona are said to be pushing Sergino Dest towards an exit, but a recent report from journalist Adria Albets has confirmed that the player does not have any offer at the moment.

Regardless of what has been said in the past, neither have Manchester United tabled any formal offer for the right-back, nor have they made contacts with the 21-year-old’s representative.

For the moment, Barcelona are clear pretty clear about offloading Dest but in order to fulfil the operation, they are demanding in excess of €20 million.

See also  Jadon Sancho has 'agreement' with Borussia Dortmund over £77m Manchester United transfer

For that particular reason, his agents are finding it hard to find a suitor as no club is willing to match the valuation for a player who is already fallen down the pecking order.

Xavi has so far preferred to use make-shift centre-back, Ronald Araujo, as a full-back. And while the Uruguayan has done well at times, it’s pretty clear that the team is looking to bring in a full-time right-back this summer.

For that, several players such as Hector Bellerin, Juan Foyth, Diogo Dalot, Thomas Meunier and Jeremie Frimpong have been considered, but there remain several complications in carrying out the operation

See also  Medical expert claims 'massive surprise' after Man United Covid update

To begin with, Villarreal’s valuation of €42 million for Juan Foyth is proving to be a hindrance.

Barcelona are finding themselves in this situation mostly because their attempt to sign a certain Cesar Azpilicueta failed.

Meanwhile, as far as Dest is concerned, he knows in order to get regular minutes, he needs to move away from Camp Nou, but Barcelona’s asking price of €20 million is putting a stop to his desire.

See also  Man United 'in direct' with former Fc Barcelona Boss over interim Manager role.

Manchester United were thought to be weighing up a fresh move worth €20 million for the defender, but the Premier League side is yet to make any formal move. Hence, the Dutch-born American defender continues to train within the Barcelona ranks for the time being.

Continue Reading

Football

Report: Chelsea prepared to listen to offers for their ‘huge talent’, will demand nearly £60m

Published

on

Report: Chelsea prepared to listen to offers for their ‘huge talent’, will demand nearly £60m

Chelsea would reportedly prefer to sell Christian Pulisic rather than loan him out this summer.

According to The Sun, Manchester United are interested in signing the 23-year-old Blues attacker on loan

is understood that Chelsea would rather offload the American on a permanent basis, though.

The report says they’ll listen to offers for Pulisic during the next couple of weeks, but want to recuperate the full £58million they paid for him a few years ago.

See also  Eden Hazard's damning Chelsea U-turn after Roman Abramovich's plea to Real Madrid star

With Chelsea demanding nearly £60million for the forward, will any club step forward with a bid?

Chelsea prefer to sell Pulisic

It makes little sense doing Man United a favour by sending them Pulisic on loan, so you can fully understand why a permanent transfer would make much more sense.

Described as a “huge talent” earlier this year by Gary Neville, Pulisic is a player that frustrates supporters at Stamford Bridge.

See also  Medical expert claims 'massive surprise' after Man United Covid update

The winger can produce moments of brilliance in the final third, but there’s no major consistency in his game.

He finished last season with eight goals and five assists in 38 matches across all competitions, which wasn’t a bad return considering he missed a couple of months with an ankle problem

However, the United States international can’t seem to become a real favourite under Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel.

See also  Talk underway, Fabrizio Romano confirms Man United working on new contract for top class star

His 2019/20 campaign is proof of what a talented player he can be.

The forward had 21 direct goal contributions in 34 Blues appearances, but it was a familiar case of injuries interrupting him whenever he builds up some momentum.

It would be quite a surprise if a clubs willing to fork out a near-£60million sum for him.

Keep up to date with all the latest Chelsea news and opinion by following The Chelsea Chronicle’s Facebook and Twitter accounts

Continue Reading

Trending