Connect with us

News

How Elanga nearly left United on Loan to a German team

Published

on

Ralf Rangnick has revealed how Anthony Elanga had wanted to leave the club on loan prior to his appointment as Manchester United interim manager in December.

The youth product made his first-team debut at the end of last season when he scored with a bullet header against Wolverhampton Wanderers, but he had only managed one more senior outing this campaign – against West Ham United in September – by the time Rangnick reported for duty before Christmas.

Rangnick had heard of Elanga but did not have an informed opinion of his ability until his first training session at Carrington, when Anthony stood out among his more established team-mates.

Our talented striker tellingly appeared as a substitute in Ralf’s first match and has since become a breakout star, scoring three goals in 13 games under the German coach so far. His latest strike arrived on the biggest stage yet, against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League last 16.

In our post-match press conference at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium on Wednesday night, Rangnick gave this detailed response when asked how Elanga first caught his eye at United.

“I knew his name of course, I’d heard of him, but I didn’t know him as a player,” said Ralf.

“In the first training session, the night before the Crystal Palace game, he was the player with the best training performance in that session so I asked my colleagues and my staff about him and found out that he had almost already decided to leave the club on loan.”

Football

Rio Ferdinand issues major warning about Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag

Published

on

By

Former centre-back Rio Ferdinand believes it is still too early to judge whether Erik ten Hag is the right man to lead Manchester United back to the top, despite their unquestionable improvement under him this season.

United head into tomorrow’s Manchester derby against City at Old Trafford with the knowledge that a win will lift them to within a point and place of their neighbours in the Premier League table.

The Reds have lost just one of their last 18 matches since being battered 6-3 by City back in October, featuring a current run of eight wins on the bounce.

The Reds, such is the level of progress they have made under Ten Hag this season, are now considered as one of the favourites to qualify for the Champions League for next season.

They have made significant strides in a relatively short space of time and victories over the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur already this season have proven that they are capable of competing in the upper echelons of the table again.

However, despite heading into the second half of the campaign with form in their sails, Ferdinand insists the jury is still out on Ten Hag, despite him reaching 20 wins as United manager quick than any of his predecessors.

“I think it’s too early to say,” said Ferdinand to the Mirror. “We’ve been here with previous managers when it looks like we are onto something.

“We’ve got to be patient and give the man time. I think all the signs are very positive at the moment. He’s come in and seen what is happening, assessed how things are, looked at individuals and looked at the shape of the team.

“These were a bunch of players that were quite low. They were shot to pieces and he’s had to build, not only footballers, but men back up again. He’s had to build a lot of human beings back up and that takes time.

“The fact he’s now talking about qualifying for the Champions League so positively, he can sense a confidence coming back into this team. There’s a consistency of performance from the team that wasn’t there before and the signals and signs are all very promising.

“But they’re still not where they want to be. City are way ahead of where United are. The distance is a bit closer, but it’s still not anywhere near where we want it to be. There’s still work to be done.”

Continue Reading

Football

Manchester United takeover bids ‘expected imminently’ with serious interest in Club

Published

on

By

Manchester United are expecting takeover offers from across the world as they are set to invite bids ahead of ‘mid-February deadline’.

The Telegraph have reported that the club have received ‘serious interest’ from consortiums based in the Middle East, Asia and the United States.

British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe is also weighing up an offer, as the Glazers hope to the sell one of the biggest clubs in the world for over £5billion.

The report also adds that parties who had been interested in taking over Chelsea, before Todd Boehly’s £4.25bn takeover, are set to return with approaches for the Red Devils.

It’s expected that potential investors will go public with their attempts to buy United in the coming weeks with the clock ‘now ticking on a deal’.

Senior United figures will issue a mid February deadline for formal offers in order to help get get the takeover completed before the end of the season.

Continue Reading

Football

Very Close: Top Journalist gives exciting Arsenal transfer updates

Published

on

By

Arsenal are “really close” to striking a deal with Shakhtar Donetsk in a bid to add winger Mykhaylo Mudryk to Mikel Arteta’s squad at the Emirates this month, journalist Rudy Galetti has told GiveMeSport.

The Gunners have now submitted a third offer for the wide man, after seeing two bids worth £52m and £62m rejected.

Arsenal transfer news – Mykhaylo Mudryk

According to transfer guru Fabrizio Romano, Arsenal have submitted a bid worth £62m plus add-ons in a third attempt to bring Mudryk to the Emirates during the January transfer window.

With the north London side having seen their first two offers turned down and fellow Premier League side Chelsea showing an interest, the league leaders have had no choice but to move to try and get a deal over the line as quickly as possible.

Before Arsenal’s latest offer, Romano had told GiveMeSport that the Gunners were still negotiating with Shakhtar but a deal was not imminent.

However, Galetti believes that the Gunners’ latest bid, which is rumoured to be worth around £79m including add-ons, may see a move completed “in the next few days.”

What has Galetti said about Arsenal and Mudryk?

Galetti told GiveMeSport: “We know that at the beginning, Shakhtar valuated Mudryk at around £90m as confirmed by vice director Nicolini.

“He said that Mudryk is better than Antony in their evaluation. We know that Manchester United paid about £86m for Antony.

“This was the previous valuation, but now Arsenal and Shakhtar are really close to reaching an agreement for a little bit less, worth around £75m and £79m as the overall package. In the next few days, this could probably be a done deal.”

Continue Reading

Trending