Connect with us

Football

Man United appear ready to give second chance as Joel Glazer performs U-turn

Published

on

Back when Jose Mourinho ruled the Manchester United roost, he tried to offload Anthony Martial.

That was in 2017 and now, nearly five years on, owner Joel Glazer has performed a U-turn by allowing the France international to join Sevilla on loan.

A second chance may be on the cards, however, with the club not shaking hands on an agreement for the La Liga side to snap him up permanently in the summer.

There came a time where Martial was meant to be United’s future.

During the dark days of the Louis van Gaal era, when Old Trafford’s fear factor reduced, the France international was a shining light.

Martial was impressive under the Dutchman, scoring 17 goals during his maiden campaign at the club and helping them win the FA Cup.

Ever since, however, he’s struggled for consistency.

Martial has had some good moments, such as in the 2019/2020 season where he scored 23 goals under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and clocked up nine assists across all competitions.

Yet he’s never become the player he was meant to be, with Monaco previously expecting him to be a contender for the Ballon d’Or one day.

See also  Man United owners Glazers face fresh anger with protest planned for Ten Hag's first home game

Now, Martial leaves for Sevilla.

And that comes nearly five years after Glazer flatly refused to let the 26-year-old go.

Back in 2017, after steering the club to Carabao Cup and Europa League glory, Mourinho made it clear he wanted to stamp his own image on the team.

Martial, he believed, was mentally weak. Not up to it. And he also felt the former Monaco star went missing in matches when he really needed him to deliver.

Glazer, however, made it abundantly clear the Frenchman wouldn’t be allowed to leave Old Trafford.

Some have even gone as to say the controversial American claimed Martial was the club’s very own version of Brazil legend Pele.

Now, with hindsight, it appears he got that decision wrong.

Martial may have impressed during Solskjaer’s first full season at the helm but he’s regressed ever since, even if he did shine off the bench during Saturday’s 1-0 win over West Ham.

With just eight goals since the beginning of last term, he’s not done enough to make the No 9 role his own.

See also  Man United have their own ‘Andres Iniesta’ ready to help Ralf Rangnick after deadline day

And it’s telling that he’s failed to make an impact ever since the arrivals of A-list hitmen Cristiano Ronaldo and Edinson Cavani.

Martial will now depart to Sevilla, with the La Liga side appearing to have won the race for his signature ahead of Newcastle and Barcelona.

But United do appear ready to give him a second chance.

This summer, things will again change at Old Trafford. Ralf Rangnick, the club’s interim boss for the time being, will move upstairs.

Then, the club will appoint a new manager. Mauricio Pochettino and Erik ten Hag are the frontrunners, while Luis Enrique and Julen Lopetegui are under consideration as well.

Martial could be of use to any of the quartet who are currently on their shortlist.

So that’s why they’ve failed to include a clause in the loan deal that would enable Sevilla to sign the forward permanently at the end of the campaign.

That suggests United are covering their own backs.

And that’s a welcome decision because if Martial rediscovers his mojo, the club would be welcoming back a very different player to the one who now leaves.

See also  Melbourne Victory vs Manchester United: Prediction, kick off time, TV, live stream, team news, h2h today

Rangnick, meanwhile, praised Martial after the win over West Ham and lauded the ‘professionalism’ of his No 9.

“Since we last spoke one-and-a-half weeks ago, I told him it’s about being professional until the very last day no matter how long he stays or when he leaves,” Rangnick said.

“It was good to have this conversation with him.

“In the last two games, he was part of the squad and today he played a vital role in the goal that we scored,” the manager continued.

“He’s a top player, one of the best strikers in the Premier League but we have other players in his position and it is his wish to leave but, as I said to him, it always takes different parts to find an agreement and the way he trained and played when he came on today showed his professionalism I expect from everybody.

“I am happy he was playing today, that came on and had a vital role in the goal.”

Football

Report: Chelsea agree personal terms with Inter Milan superstar

Published

on

By

Chelsea look to be closing in on the signing of 19-year-old midfielder Cesare Casadei.

The Blues are reportedly agreeing personal terms with the Inter Milan youngster ahead of what is expected to be a €15m (plus add-ons) transfer. Inter had been looking for around €20m all told.

As per Fabrizio Romano, and others, the highly promising Italy youth international, though who has yet to make his senior professional debut, has agreed a six-year deal with the Blues, choosing Chelsea over the likes of OGC Nice in France and US Sassuolo in Italy.

Presumably, Casadei will not be joining the Chelsea first-team right away, though post-Brexit work permit rules are fairly esoteric and confusing.

See also  Man United have new Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sack decision to make after Man City defeat

Perhaps he will end up joining one of the aforementioned teams on loan to build up the necessary professional experience? Just speculating…

See also  Man United must address major problem after Paul Pogba makes transfer stance clear

While the two teams have yet to agree a transfer, this looks to be drawing to a successful conclusion for us, adding yet another teenager talent to the team as we look to build for not only this season but for many seasons in the future.

See also  Man United star Bruno Fernandes explains Solskjaer's new penalty rule with Cristiano Ronaldo
Continue Reading

Football

Mikel Arteta drops Youri Tielemans hint as Arsenal can sign ‘more complete’ N’Golo Kante

Published

on

By

Today’s Arsenal transfer round-up on Tuesday, August 16.

Tielemans hint

Mikel Arteta’s increased use of Granit Xhaka could mean that Arsenal are close to giving up on transfer target Youri Tielemans.

The Gunners are still chasing a deal for the Leicester City midfielder but have seen their chances dwindle of doing a deal this summer and now, despite Xhaka previously saying he had come close to leaving, the club could have to do without a new addition.

Xhaka is now part of a new leadership group at the Emirates Stadium, a possible indication that he may remain at the club and throw a move for Tielemans into doubt.

See also  Man United now closing in on yet another Midfielder signing in powerhouse tackling manchine

Kante replacement

With Tielemans becoming less and less attainable this season, Arsenal have reportedly turned their attention elsewhere.

According to the Express, Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo is attracting interest from some of Europe’s top clubs including the Gunners and Manchester United. Having been previously compared with Kante, Arsenal’s desire to sign Caicedo is understandable.

See also  Man United have new Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sack decision to make after Man City defeat

South American football expert Tim Vickery said, “A year ago he was saying that Kante of Chelsea is his role model but he is already more than that. He already offers more in the final third.”

Yeremi Pino flight explained

Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has cleared the air regarding Yeremi Pino and denies that a bid has been made for him.

Romano told CaughtOffside, “Many clubs have been following Yeremi Pino for months, he is a top player of the future that at least three Premier League clubs have been monitoring for some time.

See also  Atletico Madrid detect five positive COVID-19 cases ahead Manchester United clash

“No proposals have been made yet to Villarreal, who would like more than €50m for their young star; it will not be an easy negotiation.

“As for the rumours about Arsenal – Edu was not travelling to Spain to meet Villarreal, also because Pino’s agents are based in the UK (Stellar Group).”

Continue Reading

Football

Erik Ten Hag believes £64,000 a week player will agree to join Man United – Report

Published

on

By

Despite signing two defenders this summer, Manchester United’s backline has been terrible this season and yet another defender is linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Yesterday, we covered a story (via Sport) claiming that the Red Devils have submitted an offer to sign Sergino Dest, who has received a clear message to leave Barcelona.

Today, the Spanish news source have covered another report and stated that the American international has not been able to impress in the last two years, moreover, he failed to convince Xavi in pre-season. Therefore, his exit is considered essential.

See also  Man United must address major problem after Paul Pogba makes transfer stance clear

Erik ten Hag wants to get rid of Aaron Wan-Bissaka this summer so that he can complete the signing of Dest, who is valued at 20 million euros.

The Catalan media outlet claim the Dutch manager believes that the 21-year-old Barca defender will agree (say Yes) to join Man United.

See also  Man United now closing in on yet another Midfielder signing in powerhouse tackling manchine

Ten Hag really needs to understand that players from the Netherlands or connections with Ajax are not guaranteed to solve the conundrum at Old Trafford.

Under Van Gaal, Depay and Blind failed to shine for Man United. For Ten Hag, thus far, the likes of Eriksen, Martinez and Malacia have not settled.

See also  Melbourne Victory vs Manchester United: Prediction, kick off time, TV, live stream, team news, h2h today

Now, he is pushing to sign another ex Ajax player in the form of Dest. The American was a hit in the Eredivisie but has proved to be average in the La Liga.

The youngster’s current contract at the Nou Camp will expire in 2025 and he earns around £64,000 a week (The Sun).

Continue Reading

Trending