Connect with us

Football

Man United Boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sends defiant message to UEFA over Man United Star’s ban

Published

on

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says the club will appeal against Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s ban in the Champions League having been left “shocked” by the length of it.

Wan-Bissaka was handed a two-match suspension for the tackle which saw him sent off in United’s 2-1 defeat by Young Boys on September 14.

The right-back was shown a straight red card in the 35th minute of the match in Switzerland for his poor challenge on Christopher Martins Pereira.

As a result he sat out of United’s dramatic 2-1 win over Villarreal on Wednesday night, with Diogo Dalot filling in for Solskjaer.

But, as it stands, the 23-year-old will also be absent from United’s third Champions League group stage match against Atalanta at Old Trafford on October 20.

See also  Erik ten Hag's transfer demands running out of time as unfathomable Man United risk emerges

That is because UEFA deemed Wan-Bissaka’s tackle to be “rough play,” meaning his mandatory one-match suspension for the red card was doubled.

Solskjaer believes that characterisation is unfair and is hoping to get the decision overturned so his defender will be available in Europe after the international break.

“[I am] shocked,” he told MUTV .

“Yeah, we’re going to hand an appeal in, of course, because he ends up almost with a three-game ban.

“It’s two-thirds of the game he got sent off in, that one [against Villarreal at Old Trafford], and an extra one.

See also  Sir Alex Ferguson's message to Man United over Jadon Sancho transfer

“If you look at other tackles in the Champions League, I can’t see any reason why he should have two games, or almost three as I said.”

Wan-Bissaka’s ban meant that Solskjaer was severely limited in his defensive options for Wednesday’s match against Villarreal.

While Dalot filled in for Wan-Bissaka, Alex Telles and Victor Lindelof also started, with both Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire injured.

Dalot struggled massively up against Arnaut Danjuma, so Solskjaer’s insistence on having Wan-Bissaka back to face Group F leaders Atalanta is understandable.

Wan-Bissaka is in contention to play in Saturday’s Premier League game against Everton, but Shaw will now be assessed following a shoulder injury picked up in the 1-0 defeat by Aston Villa.

See also  Bruno Fernandes says Manchester City star is toughest Premier League player he’s faced

“Luke feels better in himself,” Solskjaer said on Friday. “He’s been ill but he’s still got the shoulder injury. We’ve got to make a decision on him.”

Maguire will miss the game with a calf injury sustained in the Villa loss, while Marcus Rashford is on track to be available after the international break after returning to training following his shoulder operation.

“Marcus is fit, he’s worked really hard, but he’s not had any contact (until now),” Solskjaer said.

“If his shoulder can take the contact now, he should be ready after the internationals.”

Football

Barcelona youngster in line to bench Jordi Alba for Real Sociedad clash – report

Published

on

As Barcelona drew 0-0 against Rayo Vallecano for the season opener, Jordi Alba was among the five to be substituted off to make way for offensive depth. The Spaniard is usually among the brightest offensive outlets in the team, but failed to make an impact last week.

Alba also looked out of his depth during pre-season, and it was reported that people within Barcelona were surprised that he started over Alejandro Balde.

See also  Erik ten Hag's transfer demands running out of time as unfathomable Man United risk emerges

The 18-year-old was impressive during the run-up to the league opener, and was expected to take Alba’s place in the lineup.

While that did not happen vs Rayo, Javi Miguel reports that he is in line to start against Real Sociedad as the left-back. Xavi has informed Balde about his decision, and has told him to train with high intensity leading up to the game.

See also  Bruno Fernandes breaks Premier League record created by Chelsea's legend after scoring against Liverpool

Balde has been linked with an exit from Barcelona, especially given Marcos Alonso’s imminent arrival. However, an impressive performance at Anoeta could open the doors for his continuity.

The Chelsea defender has reportedly completed his move to Barcelona, subject to registrations and signatures. The club plan to announce it in the coming days if they are able to register Jules Kounde in time for the game.

Balde played in every single one of Barça’s pre-season fixtures, even registering an assist — to Raphinha —, against Inter Miami.

See also  Man United hero Andy Cole tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer his main problem - 'It hurts me to say'

Barcelona fans will hope the gamble pays dues, especially because it will likely not go down well with Alba, who is one of the team captains

Continue Reading

Football

Barcelona yet to receive any offers for exit-bound right back, price tag sits at €20m

Published

on

Barcelona are said to be pushing Sergino Dest towards an exit, but a recent report from journalist Adria Albets has confirmed that the player does not have any offer at the moment.

Regardless of what has been said in the past, neither have Manchester United tabled any formal offer for the right-back, nor have they made contacts with the 21-year-old’s representative.

For the moment, Barcelona are clear pretty clear about offloading Dest but in order to fulfil the operation, they are demanding in excess of €20 million.

See also  Man United XI vs West Ham: Expected lineup, confirmed team news, injury and Covid latest

For that particular reason, his agents are finding it hard to find a suitor as no club is willing to match the valuation for a player who is already fallen down the pecking order.

Xavi has so far preferred to use make-shift centre-back, Ronald Araujo, as a full-back. And while the Uruguayan has done well at times, it’s pretty clear that the team is looking to bring in a full-time right-back this summer.

For that, several players such as Hector Bellerin, Juan Foyth, Diogo Dalot, Thomas Meunier and Jeremie Frimpong have been considered, but there remain several complications in carrying out the operation

See also  Bruno Fernandes breaks Premier League record created by Chelsea's legend after scoring against Liverpool

To begin with, Villarreal’s valuation of €42 million for Juan Foyth is proving to be a hindrance.

Barcelona are finding themselves in this situation mostly because their attempt to sign a certain Cesar Azpilicueta failed.

Meanwhile, as far as Dest is concerned, he knows in order to get regular minutes, he needs to move away from Camp Nou, but Barcelona’s asking price of €20 million is putting a stop to his desire.

See also  Manchester United and Chelsea ‘had talks over Erling Haaland transfer’ but two rivals lead race

Manchester United were thought to be weighing up a fresh move worth €20 million for the defender, but the Premier League side is yet to make any formal move. Hence, the Dutch-born American defender continues to train within the Barcelona ranks for the time being.

Continue Reading

Football

Report: Chelsea prepared to listen to offers for their ‘huge talent’, will demand nearly £60m

Published

on

Report: Chelsea prepared to listen to offers for their ‘huge talent’, will demand nearly £60m

Chelsea would reportedly prefer to sell Christian Pulisic rather than loan him out this summer.

According to The Sun, Manchester United are interested in signing the 23-year-old Blues attacker on loan

is understood that Chelsea would rather offload the American on a permanent basis, though.

The report says they’ll listen to offers for Pulisic during the next couple of weeks, but want to recuperate the full £58million they paid for him a few years ago.

See also  Erik ten Hag's transfer demands running out of time as unfathomable Man United risk emerges

With Chelsea demanding nearly £60million for the forward, will any club step forward with a bid?

Chelsea prefer to sell Pulisic

It makes little sense doing Man United a favour by sending them Pulisic on loan, so you can fully understand why a permanent transfer would make much more sense.

Described as a “huge talent” earlier this year by Gary Neville, Pulisic is a player that frustrates supporters at Stamford Bridge.

See also  Sir Alex Ferguson's message to Man United over Jadon Sancho transfer

The winger can produce moments of brilliance in the final third, but there’s no major consistency in his game.

He finished last season with eight goals and five assists in 38 matches across all competitions, which wasn’t a bad return considering he missed a couple of months with an ankle problem

However, the United States international can’t seem to become a real favourite under Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel.

See also  Man United XI vs West Ham: Expected lineup, confirmed team news, injury and Covid latest

His 2019/20 campaign is proof of what a talented player he can be.

The forward had 21 direct goal contributions in 34 Blues appearances, but it was a familiar case of injuries interrupting him whenever he builds up some momentum.

It would be quite a surprise if a clubs willing to fork out a near-£60million sum for him.

Keep up to date with all the latest Chelsea news and opinion by following The Chelsea Chronicle’s Facebook and Twitter accounts

Continue Reading

Trending