Connect with us

Football

Man United hero responds to Rio Ferdinand’s call for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sack

Published

on

Manchester United hero Gary Neville has responded after Rio Ferdinand called on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to go.

The Norwegian has overseen a nightmare season at Old Trafford so far, leading to questions and scrutiny over his position. But Joel Glazer, for the time being, is hesitant when it comes to relieving the 48-year-old of his duties.

United have lost six out of their last 12 matches across all competitions.

And that’s not what the Glazers will have bargained for when they sanctioned the big signings of Jadon Sancho, Raphael Varane and Cristiano Ronaldo during the summer transfer window.

Many United legends have stopped short of calling for Solskjaer to go as a result, unlike the supporters on social media.

But Ferdinand recently broke rank, telling his FIVE YouTube channel: “He’s done actually what he’s been brought in to do.

“He’s come in and given the fans hope again, made the fans want to come back and watch your team again.

“He’s done that. He has done a great job in that sense. But is he going to take us to win titles? Is he going to make us challenge to win a Champions League?

“You need the foundations that have been built to fall back on when you are lacking that confidence.

“When you’re thinking a five, a 10-yard ball that is normally easy becomes a difficult ball – the foundations get you through that. We (United) ain’t got that.

“The football club will be living here and breathing here longer than any individual. It’s what’s best for this football club.

“I just feel that maybe it might be time now for the baton to be handed over.

“Who can take us on now? And I think Ole would leave now with his head held high.”

And, now, Neville has responded.

When asked when he would throw in the towel with regards to Solskjaer, he said on Twitter: “Never. Thank you for asking though.”

Neville has repeatedly stopped short of calling for Solskjaer’s head, especially given how he played alongside the Norwegian.

But that has irked some fans who want to see the Sky Sports pundit using his platform to demand change.

Neville recently expressed a belief that Ed Woodward is hesitant to sack Solskjaer because he’s leaving in a few weeks.

“The situation at United is made more complicated with Ed Woodward leaving in weeks,” he said.

“He gave Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a three-year contract months ago and he won’t want his final act to be sacking a manager.

“However, he knows an incoming CEO could throw him overboard by doing just that and blaming him!”

When asked on Saturday if there were better managers than Solskjaer out there for United to target, Neville said: I thought Jose Mourinho was a better manager than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, I thought Louis Van Gaal was, David Moyes was.

“They’ve all had better pedigrees than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, however, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has finished second in the league and has gained position so there’s no science to that question.

“There are better managers, of course, there are better managers in terms of credentials and on paper but the confusion that exists at this club at this moment in time is they’ve gone for two managers previously that have world-class credentials and that shouldn’t stop them doing it again.

“I think that’s where the confusion or the hesitancy comes from the board that they’ve been down this route of bringing in a Mourinho before so they wouldn’t bring in a Conte cause they’d be burnt by that.”

United are briefing Solskjaer will be in charge for their next match with Watford.

But defeat against the Hornets would only see calls for his sacking to grow in volume.

United have previously sacked managers when Champions League football is mathematically impossible.

Yet whether they stick to that stance remains to be seen. 

Football

Rio Ferdinand issues major warning about Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag

Published

on

By

Former centre-back Rio Ferdinand believes it is still too early to judge whether Erik ten Hag is the right man to lead Manchester United back to the top, despite their unquestionable improvement under him this season.

United head into tomorrow’s Manchester derby against City at Old Trafford with the knowledge that a win will lift them to within a point and place of their neighbours in the Premier League table.

The Reds have lost just one of their last 18 matches since being battered 6-3 by City back in October, featuring a current run of eight wins on the bounce.

The Reds, such is the level of progress they have made under Ten Hag this season, are now considered as one of the favourites to qualify for the Champions League for next season.

They have made significant strides in a relatively short space of time and victories over the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur already this season have proven that they are capable of competing in the upper echelons of the table again.

However, despite heading into the second half of the campaign with form in their sails, Ferdinand insists the jury is still out on Ten Hag, despite him reaching 20 wins as United manager quick than any of his predecessors.

“I think it’s too early to say,” said Ferdinand to the Mirror. “We’ve been here with previous managers when it looks like we are onto something.

“We’ve got to be patient and give the man time. I think all the signs are very positive at the moment. He’s come in and seen what is happening, assessed how things are, looked at individuals and looked at the shape of the team.

“These were a bunch of players that were quite low. They were shot to pieces and he’s had to build, not only footballers, but men back up again. He’s had to build a lot of human beings back up and that takes time.

“The fact he’s now talking about qualifying for the Champions League so positively, he can sense a confidence coming back into this team. There’s a consistency of performance from the team that wasn’t there before and the signals and signs are all very promising.

“But they’re still not where they want to be. City are way ahead of where United are. The distance is a bit closer, but it’s still not anywhere near where we want it to be. There’s still work to be done.”

Continue Reading

Football

Manchester United takeover bids ‘expected imminently’ with serious interest in Club

Published

on

By

Manchester United are expecting takeover offers from across the world as they are set to invite bids ahead of ‘mid-February deadline’.

The Telegraph have reported that the club have received ‘serious interest’ from consortiums based in the Middle East, Asia and the United States.

British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe is also weighing up an offer, as the Glazers hope to the sell one of the biggest clubs in the world for over £5billion.

The report also adds that parties who had been interested in taking over Chelsea, before Todd Boehly’s £4.25bn takeover, are set to return with approaches for the Red Devils.

It’s expected that potential investors will go public with their attempts to buy United in the coming weeks with the clock ‘now ticking on a deal’.

Senior United figures will issue a mid February deadline for formal offers in order to help get get the takeover completed before the end of the season.

Continue Reading

Football

Confirmed: Chelsea ready to make late bid to hijack another Arsenal transfer

Published

on

By

Chelsea will make a late attempt to scupper Arsenal’s hopes of finally signing Mikhailo Mudryk from Shakhtar Donetsk.

The Gunners have submitted their third bid for the Ukraine international winger and hope an offer of £62m before add-ons, which take the deal closer to £70m, will be enough to break the deadlock between the two clubs.

Chelsea’s interest in the 21-year-old winger was earlier this week described only as ‘exploratory’ but ESPN now claim that Todd Boehly will test the waters and attempt to throw a spanner in the works for the Premier League leaders.

Shakhtar’s technical director Darijo Srna was pictured at Stamford Bridge last week as he watched Chelsea’s defeat against Manchester City and Boehly would have little issue with meeting an asking price which is closer to £88million.

Arsenal are said to be confident that their latest bid for Mudryk will be enough to finally secure the services of their No.1 January target, but have already been beaten to the punch once this month by their west London rivals.

Chelsea won the race to sign Joao Felix on loan from Atletico Madrid amid competition from Arsenal and Manchester United, but the Portugal international’s promising debut ended in devastating fashion when he was sent off just shy of the hour mark for a dangerous challenge on Fulham’s Kenny Tete.

Felix will now miss the next three games through suspension as the problems mount for Chelsea’s under-fire manager Graham Potter.

‘It sums up where we are at the moment – everything that can go wrong, is going wrong,’ Potter said after Chelsea’s 2-1 west London derby defeat.

‘It was a forward’s tackle from Joao, there was no malice in it but I understand why it was a red. It is another blow the hits keep coming at the moment.

‘He was really good you could see his quality in the game so it is doubly disappointing for us because he was looking dangerous throughout.

‘I don’t think there was too much malice in it and it is an unfortunate action and we are going to lose him now for three games.’

Continue Reading

Trending