Manchester United have released a new statement after Mason Greenwood was further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill.
Greenwood, 20, was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault on Sunday after allegations were made against the footballer in online posts.
Greater Manchester Police then confirmed on Tuesday that Greenwood had been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
After that update, Manchester United released a statement reiterating the club’s condemnation of violence and reaffirming their position on Greenwood.
It read: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.”
GMP also said they had been granted a second extension to keep him in custody until Wednesday.
The statement read: “Detectives have been granted further additional time to speak to a man in his 20s who was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman.
“The suspect was detained in custody on Sunday (30 January) afternoon after we became aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence.
“He continues to be questioned after magistrates authorised an extension until tomorrow (Wednesday 2 February).
“Following enquiries so far, he has since been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
“Enquiries are ongoing and the victim continues to be offered specialist support.
“We remind people to avoid any commentary or sharing of images that could compromise the victim’s right to lifelong anonymity, or risk prejudicing a live investigation with active proceedings.”
United announced on Sunday that Greenwood had been suspended by the club in light of the allegations made against him.
Sportswear giant Nike previously said it suspended its relationship with Greenwood
While the player has also been suspended by EA Sports from the FIFA22 video game.