Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood has been released on bail pending further investigation into allegations of the rape and assault of a young woman.
The 20-year-old Premier League star was initially arrested on Sunday afternoon after social media images and videos were posted online.
Police said on Tuesday he was further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
On Wednesday, a Greater Manchester Police statement said: “A 20-year-old man arrested (on Sunday January 30 2022) on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.”
Following yesterday’s statement from GMP, United released a club statement which read: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.”
Within hours of the allegations appearing on Sunday morning, the footballer, regarded as one of Manchester United’s rising young stars, was suspended from playing or training with the club until further notice.
The posts have since been deleted from the social media page.
Complainants of sexual offences must not be identified and their anonymity is protected for life under the law.
Nike have suspended their deal with the player and Electronic Arts have confirmed his removal from active squads on the FIFA 22 computer game.
In a statement, the video game company said: “Mason Greenwood has been removed from active squads in FIFA 22 and has also been suspended from appearing in FIFA Ultimate Team (FUT) packs and Ultimate Draft.”
Sportswear giant Nike said in a statement: “We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”