Connect with us

Football

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer told what to do to beat Liverpool

Published

on

Manchester United can “hurt” Liverpool at Old Trafford on Sunday, according to Reds legend Steve Nicol.

Liverpool are unbeaten in the Premier League heading into the clash with their bitter rivals. United, meanwhile, are winless in their last three Premier League matches.

Liverpool head into Sunday’s game as favourites and won the same fixture 4-2 last season.

However, Nicol believes there is a weakness at the back which United could exploit.

The pundit says United must target Joel Matip, who has started seven of the eight league matches so far this season alongside Virgil van Dijk.

Nicol told EPSN FC: “Van Dijk and Matip as a partnership against Atletico Madrid were awful. I think that’s the only way you can put it.

See also  Man United ‘close’ to appointing Woodward’s successor

“And so, if I’m Manchester United, the areas I’m looking to hurt are in-behind Matip, no question.

“Van Dijk, I’m still going to say you don’t want anything to do with him. He did have a bad game but we know the guy’s quality.

“I think they’ve absolutely got to go after Matip because this Liverpool line over the last 18 months to two years has been a very high line, which I don’t particularly like.

“But it’s been solid, they’ve all been on the same page, they haven’t had guys drifting apart and dropping deep.

“But that’s what happened the other night with Matip, he kept dropping and being five and 10 yards behind the other three.

See also  Cristiano Ronaldo angrily storms off pitch after Man United and Everton Premier League draw

“So if I’m Manchester United, that’s what I’m looking at, that’s what I’m going for.”

Sunday’s match has been billed as Cristiano Ronaldo vs Mohamed Salah, with two of the world’s top players going head to head.

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer understandably sided with his player when asked to pick between the two.

“I’ll always back Cristiano in any competition,” said the Norwegian.

“He’s unique. That being said, Salah, at the moment, he’s on fire. We know we have to be at our best to defend against him.

“We have to enjoy the players, [though] not Salah on Sunday, of course.”

See also  Man Utd transfer round-up as Pau Torres addresses transfer speculation amid interest

Meanwhile, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says there is no need to compare the two players.

“I never thought about that,” said Klopp. “Why should we compare Cristiano Ronaldo and Mo Salah? Obviously both are world-class players, so that’s how it is.

“I would say even when Ronaldo’s left foot is not that bad, but I would say Mo’s left foot is probably better.

“Maybe then Cristiano in the air is slightly better and the right foot is probably better. But speed-wise they are both pretty quick, very desperate to score goals – so maybe that’s it.” 

Football

Barcelona and Chelsea advancing with deal for veteran star, formal offer expected today

Published

on

In a major development, as reported by Toni Juanmarti, Chelsea are ready to present a formal offer for Barcelona striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in the next few hours.

The 33-year-old veteran has been on the radars of Chelsea in recent weeks as they desperately look for a new striker following the departures of Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner.

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel worked with Aubameyang at Borussia Dortmund in the past and is pushing for a reunion.

Barça were believed to have been reluctant to let go of the forward, especially with Memphis Depay already on his way out.

See also  Man United’s phone call involving Fred ahead of Villarreal Champions League clash

However, their need to generate funds and free up space on the wage bill to successfully register players could see the club cash in on the ex-Arsenal skipper.

As per the report, talks between Chelsea and Barcelona are advancing and the Blues are now expected to table a formal offer imminently, with all parties involved keen on getting the deal over the line at the earliest possible.

The 33-year-old joined Barcelona only during the January window earlier this year, arriving as a free agent after Arsenal ripped up his contract. He quickly became a key player for Xavi Hernandez’s side, playing a part in their second-place finish in La Liga.

See also  Man United ‘close’ to appointing Woodward’s successor

However, Robert Lewandowski’s arrival this summer has seen Aubameyang drop down the pecking order to the second-choice No. 9 at Camp Nou.

Along with Chelsea, Manchester United have also shown an interest in the former Arsenal captain. However, Aubameyang is believed to have made it clear that if he leaves Barça, it would only be for Chelsea.

See also  Edinson Cavani makes special request to Man United fans following Cristiano Ronaldo transfer

With a formal offer from the Blues expected imminently, things could pick up pace in the coming hours, and Aubameyang could soon be on his way back to London.

Chelsea were believed to have made a bid for Aubameyang already, although Juanmarti clarifies that it was only a verbal offer.

Their first formal offer will now be tabled in the coming hours, which could see Aubameyang secure a swift return to England.

Continue Reading

Football

Barcelona plan to offer €30 million for 24-year-old La Liga defender

Published

on

Even though we are just a few weeks away until the transfer window slams to a shut, Barcelona remain active in the market and are still looking for ways to strengthen their squad.

The Catalans have roped in a slew of top-quality stars in the month of July, including star striker Robert Lewandowski. Although they are yet to sign a player in August, Xavi has set his sights firmly on a few players.

One of those players in question is Juan Foyth. The Villarreal starlet has been identified as the ideal replacement for Sergino Dest as Barcelona look for a reliable right-back that can offer more quality than the American international.

See also  Man Utd transfer round-up as Pau Torres addresses transfer speculation amid interest

Indeed, Barça have been left frustrated by Dest’s lack of progress at Camp Nou. They are prepared to sanction the exit of the former Ajax starlet, with Manchester United among the clubs in contention to snap him up by the end of the month.

See also  Cristiano Ronaldo angrily storms off pitch after Man United and Everton Premier League draw

While Dest’s exit from Camp Nou could soon be on the horizon, Barcelona are actively trying to lure Foyth away from Villarreal. The club are even weighing up an offer for the young Argentine, according to Gerard Romero.

The reputed Spanish journalist suggests Barça are considering a bid of around €30 million plus add-ons for Foyth, in an attempt to convince Villarreal this summer.

The Catalans are aware of the fact that the Yellow Submarines rate the defender highly due to his tremendous success in La Liga. In addition to his form, he offers a lot of versatility to the table and with time on his side, he could be a smart long-term investment for the club.

See also  Man United ‘close’ to appointing Woodward’s successor

However, it remains to be seen whether Villarreal are open to sanctioning the exit of one of their prized defensive assets, especially at this stage of the transfer market

Continue Reading

Chelsea

Man Utd ready to agree net £34million+ contract for signing, guarantee stability for decades – AS

Published

on

Manchester United are serious about signing a world class star in the form of Casemiro and reports suggest that they are ready to agree a mammoth contract to convince the player.

As per today’s version of AS (news image provided below), the Real Madrid superstar is really tempted by the offer made by the Red Devils.

https://www.facebook.com/102767799225674/posts/102769009225553/?substory_index=0&app=fbl

The famous Spanish news source have mentioned that Man Utd have tabled a five year deal that will make the midfielder earn a net salary of more than £34million (40 million euros).

See also  Man Utd transfer round-up as Pau Torres addresses transfer speculation amid interest

Casemiro is now in a massive dilemma. United’s offer is so succulent that it guarantees the midfielder and his family’s stability for ‘decades’.

On the other hand, by accepting such a contract, the Brazilian international will have to give up on immediate sporting glory.

Moving to Old Trafford would mean swapping Champions League for Europa League and it is a hard decision to make for someone who is currently a European Champion and has won the continent’s premier competition five times.

See also  Manchester United to sign three more players once De Jong, Eriksen and Martinez deal is completed

AS claim the situation must be resolved soon. If Casemiro gives the green light to leave, then Real Madrid would demand a fee of at least £68million (80 million euros) to sell him.

https://www.facebook.com/102767799225674/posts/102769009225553/?substory_index=0&app=fbl

The Samba star is one of the best defensive midfielders in the world but the Los Blancos have already prepared for the future by signing youngsters like Camavinga and Tchouameni, who can effectively play in the DM position.

See also  Cristiano Ronaldo angrily storms off pitch after Man United and Everton Premier League draw

At Old Trafford, Ten Hag does not have a specialist holding midfield star and someone like Casemiro will largely improve the squad. However, the question is, should Man Utd spend £68million to sign a player who will turn 31 next year?

Continue Reading

Trending