Connect with us

Football

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told to copy Thomas Tuchel decision with Man United Star

Published

on

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been urged to follow in the footsteps of rival Thomas Tuchel when it comes to dealing with Anthony Martial.

The Frenchman was handed a rare opportunity to impress in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night.

But Martial put in a flat display as United were dumped out of the competition in a 1-0 defeat to Premier League rivals West Ham.

Solskjaer defended Martial’s lacklustre performance after the match – but it left talkSPORT pundit Jamie O’Hara wanting the United boss to follow the example of Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel, who hauled off Saul Niguez after the Spaniard endured a disappointing debut.

“I don’t think it’s right to go into individual performances,” Solskjaer said following the defeat to the Hammers.

“Antho was the same as the rest of the team. We played some nice football, just we lacked some of that cutting edge and he knows what we want from him. He keeps on working and he’ll get his chances.”

See also  Man United 'agreeing terms' with center-back is bad news for three stars

But O’Hara was adamant that Solskjaer should be more critical of his misfiring striker.

“I want him to be like Thomas Tuchel, who comes out and is honest, like when Saul was taken off at half-time, but he [Solskjaer] gives these politically boring answers,” the ex- Tottenham midfielder said on the Sports Bar.

The Blues boss was brutally honest after hooking Saul on his debut against Aston Villa a couple of weeks ago.

“I had the feeling that he struggled,” Tuchel told Sky Sports after the game. “There were some big mistakes, passing mistakes, and he struggled with the intensity. You could see he isn’t fully adapted.

See also  Manchester United in direct talks with summer transfer target as fresh update emerges

“It’s completely my responsibility. I had the feeling he could jump in for us and play at that level. I [then] thought it was maybe better to change him, but it doesn’t change anything [about how I see him].”

Martial always looked the most likely candidate to be culled from a bloated rank of attackers at Old Trafford following the summer return of Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Frenchman managed just four league goals last year – a figure that Ronaldo (3) has almost eclipsed after just two Premier League games.

The 25-year-old looked out of sorts against the Hammers on Wednesday night once again.

He found the target just once from of his three shots and had the fewest number of outfield touches of all United’s starting players.

See also  Man United told to replace two stars if they wants to challenge for trophies next season

And he came in for more criticism, this time from former United striker Dion Dublin, on Wednesday night.

“We need to see more from Anthony Martial,” Dublin told BBC 5Live radio.

“We have said it many times before but he is not helping his cause.

“I want to see him sweating and putting the ball in the back of the net. He has not done enough since being at United.

“You see flashes and think it is the start then he doesn’t do anything.

“His body language is horrible to watch, he doesn’t want to run around and work hard to be United’s number nine.”

Football

Barcelona youngster in line to bench Jordi Alba for Real Sociedad clash – report

Published

on

As Barcelona drew 0-0 against Rayo Vallecano for the season opener, Jordi Alba was among the five to be substituted off to make way for offensive depth. The Spaniard is usually among the brightest offensive outlets in the team, but failed to make an impact last week.

Alba also looked out of his depth during pre-season, and it was reported that people within Barcelona were surprised that he started over Alejandro Balde.

See also  BREAKING NEWS: Manager agrees three-year deal to become Man United manager

The 18-year-old was impressive during the run-up to the league opener, and was expected to take Alba’s place in the lineup.

While that did not happen vs Rayo, Javi Miguel reports that he is in line to start against Real Sociedad as the left-back. Xavi has informed Balde about his decision, and has told him to train with high intensity leading up to the game.

See also  Jadon Sancho can learn from three Man United aces to become Ole Gunnar Solskjaer undroppable

Balde has been linked with an exit from Barcelona, especially given Marcos Alonso’s imminent arrival. However, an impressive performance at Anoeta could open the doors for his continuity.

The Chelsea defender has reportedly completed his move to Barcelona, subject to registrations and signatures. The club plan to announce it in the coming days if they are able to register Jules Kounde in time for the game.

Balde played in every single one of Barça’s pre-season fixtures, even registering an assist — to Raphinha —, against Inter Miami.

See also  Rooney picks five players Manchester United should build around

Barcelona fans will hope the gamble pays dues, especially because it will likely not go down well with Alba, who is one of the team captains

Continue Reading

Football

Barcelona yet to receive any offers for exit-bound right back, price tag sits at €20m

Published

on

Barcelona are said to be pushing Sergino Dest towards an exit, but a recent report from journalist Adria Albets has confirmed that the player does not have any offer at the moment.

Regardless of what has been said in the past, neither have Manchester United tabled any formal offer for the right-back, nor have they made contacts with the 21-year-old’s representative.

For the moment, Barcelona are clear pretty clear about offloading Dest but in order to fulfil the operation, they are demanding in excess of €20 million.

See also  Thomas Tuchel reveals six players could miss Chelsea vs Watford

For that particular reason, his agents are finding it hard to find a suitor as no club is willing to match the valuation for a player who is already fallen down the pecking order.

Xavi has so far preferred to use make-shift centre-back, Ronald Araujo, as a full-back. And while the Uruguayan has done well at times, it’s pretty clear that the team is looking to bring in a full-time right-back this summer.

For that, several players such as Hector Bellerin, Juan Foyth, Diogo Dalot, Thomas Meunier and Jeremie Frimpong have been considered, but there remain several complications in carrying out the operation

See also  Rooney picks five players Manchester United should build around

To begin with, Villarreal’s valuation of €42 million for Juan Foyth is proving to be a hindrance.

Barcelona are finding themselves in this situation mostly because their attempt to sign a certain Cesar Azpilicueta failed.

Meanwhile, as far as Dest is concerned, he knows in order to get regular minutes, he needs to move away from Camp Nou, but Barcelona’s asking price of €20 million is putting a stop to his desire.

See also  Man United team news: Expected XI at Tottenham as Solskjaer makes changes to save his job

Manchester United were thought to be weighing up a fresh move worth €20 million for the defender, but the Premier League side is yet to make any formal move. Hence, the Dutch-born American defender continues to train within the Barcelona ranks for the time being.

Continue Reading

Football

Report: Chelsea prepared to listen to offers for their ‘huge talent’, will demand nearly £60m

Published

on

Report: Chelsea prepared to listen to offers for their ‘huge talent’, will demand nearly £60m

Chelsea would reportedly prefer to sell Christian Pulisic rather than loan him out this summer.

According to The Sun, Manchester United are interested in signing the 23-year-old Blues attacker on loan

is understood that Chelsea would rather offload the American on a permanent basis, though.

The report says they’ll listen to offers for Pulisic during the next couple of weeks, but want to recuperate the full £58million they paid for him a few years ago.

See also  BREAKING NEWS: Manager agrees three-year deal to become Man United manager

With Chelsea demanding nearly £60million for the forward, will any club step forward with a bid?

Chelsea prefer to sell Pulisic

It makes little sense doing Man United a favour by sending them Pulisic on loan, so you can fully understand why a permanent transfer would make much more sense.

Described as a “huge talent” earlier this year by Gary Neville, Pulisic is a player that frustrates supporters at Stamford Bridge.

See also  'I have enough confidence': Ten Hag transfer favourite is not afraid of not playing at Man United

The winger can produce moments of brilliance in the final third, but there’s no major consistency in his game.

He finished last season with eight goals and five assists in 38 matches across all competitions, which wasn’t a bad return considering he missed a couple of months with an ankle problem

However, the United States international can’t seem to become a real favourite under Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel.

See also  Man United team news: Expected XI at Tottenham as Solskjaer makes changes to save his job

His 2019/20 campaign is proof of what a talented player he can be.

The forward had 21 direct goal contributions in 34 Blues appearances, but it was a familiar case of injuries interrupting him whenever he builds up some momentum.

It would be quite a surprise if a clubs willing to fork out a near-£60million sum for him.

Keep up to date with all the latest Chelsea news and opinion by following The Chelsea Chronicle’s Facebook and Twitter accounts

Continue Reading

Trending