Connect with us

Football

Phil Foden’s warning to Man United ahead of first home game since Liverpool humiliation

Published

on

Phil Foden warned Manchester United he was ready for the derby after excelling yet again in Manchester City ’s latest thrashing of Club Brugge.

The England midfielder opened the scoring as City eased to a 4-1 win over the Belgian side at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday to move within touching distance of the Champions League last 16.

Coming after a 5-1 win in Bruges, the result took Pep Guardiola’s side above Paris St Germain to top spot in Group A, needing just a point from two games to reach the knockout stages.

Attention now turns to Saturday’s Premier League trip to Old Trafford and, after bouncing back from losses to West Ham and Crystal Palace in the past week, in-form Foden is relishing the encounter.

The 21-year-old said: “We needed to bounce back from previous defeats so it is going to give us confidence going into the derby.

“We’re ready to play them whenever. It’s going to be a difficult game because we know how hard it is at their stadium with their fans but we’re feeling confident.”

United were thrashed 5-0 by Liverpool last month but a convincing 3-0 win over Tottenham and a draw at Atalanta in the Champions League have since eased the pressure on their manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Foden said: “They’ve got two good results recently so they’ll be full of confidence as well. It’s going to be a really challenging game and I’m looking forward to it.”

City proved too strong for Brugge in an impressive second-half display.

Foden’s 15th-minute strike was immediately cancelled out by a freak own goal from John Stones but Riyad Mahrez restored the lead after the break. Raheem Sterling then added a third and Gabriel Jesus completed the scoring with the last kick of the game. Joao Cancelo provided three assists.

Foden said: “They’ve got two good results recently so they’ll be full of confidence as well. It’s going to be a really challenging game and I’m looking forward to it.”

City proved too strong for Brugge in an impressive second-half display.

Foden’s 15th-minute strike was immediately cancelled out by a freak own goal from John Stones but Riyad Mahrez restored the lead after the break. Raheem Sterling then added a third and Gabriel Jesus completed the scoring with the last kick of the game. Joao Cancelo provided three assists.

With Paris St Germain being held to a draw at RB Leipzig, City are now in a strong position ahead of their home meeting with the French outfit later this month.

Foden said: “We were a little bit sloppy at times in the first half but we still controlled the game and created chances. I’m happy we got it together in the second half and played much better.

“We always look to finish top in the group. We have still got another couple of games to finish it off strongly and that’s our aim.”

Foden missed the first month of the season through injury but has since made up for lost time with a series of outstanding displays, and his goal on Wednesday was his fifth of the campaign.

Reports have suggested his performances are set to earn him a lucrative new contract.

He said: “I’m enjoying scoring, it’s good for the confidence but I know how strong the team is and how many quality players we have, so it’s down to who the manager chooses.

“I’m just going to keep training hard and hopefully get on the team sheet.

“I’m not sure what’s happening with the contract right now but I’m focused on playing my best for the team and performing on the pitch.”

Football

Rio Ferdinand issues major warning about Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag

Published

on

By

Former centre-back Rio Ferdinand believes it is still too early to judge whether Erik ten Hag is the right man to lead Manchester United back to the top, despite their unquestionable improvement under him this season.

United head into tomorrow’s Manchester derby against City at Old Trafford with the knowledge that a win will lift them to within a point and place of their neighbours in the Premier League table.

The Reds have lost just one of their last 18 matches since being battered 6-3 by City back in October, featuring a current run of eight wins on the bounce.

The Reds, such is the level of progress they have made under Ten Hag this season, are now considered as one of the favourites to qualify for the Champions League for next season.

They have made significant strides in a relatively short space of time and victories over the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur already this season have proven that they are capable of competing in the upper echelons of the table again.

However, despite heading into the second half of the campaign with form in their sails, Ferdinand insists the jury is still out on Ten Hag, despite him reaching 20 wins as United manager quick than any of his predecessors.

“I think it’s too early to say,” said Ferdinand to the Mirror. “We’ve been here with previous managers when it looks like we are onto something.

“We’ve got to be patient and give the man time. I think all the signs are very positive at the moment. He’s come in and seen what is happening, assessed how things are, looked at individuals and looked at the shape of the team.

“These were a bunch of players that were quite low. They were shot to pieces and he’s had to build, not only footballers, but men back up again. He’s had to build a lot of human beings back up and that takes time.

“The fact he’s now talking about qualifying for the Champions League so positively, he can sense a confidence coming back into this team. There’s a consistency of performance from the team that wasn’t there before and the signals and signs are all very promising.

“But they’re still not where they want to be. City are way ahead of where United are. The distance is a bit closer, but it’s still not anywhere near where we want it to be. There’s still work to be done.”

Continue Reading

Football

Manchester United takeover bids ‘expected imminently’ with serious interest in Club

Published

on

By

Manchester United are expecting takeover offers from across the world as they are set to invite bids ahead of ‘mid-February deadline’.

The Telegraph have reported that the club have received ‘serious interest’ from consortiums based in the Middle East, Asia and the United States.

British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe is also weighing up an offer, as the Glazers hope to the sell one of the biggest clubs in the world for over £5billion.

The report also adds that parties who had been interested in taking over Chelsea, before Todd Boehly’s £4.25bn takeover, are set to return with approaches for the Red Devils.

It’s expected that potential investors will go public with their attempts to buy United in the coming weeks with the clock ‘now ticking on a deal’.

Senior United figures will issue a mid February deadline for formal offers in order to help get get the takeover completed before the end of the season.

Continue Reading

Football

Confirmed: Chelsea ready to make late bid to hijack another Arsenal transfer

Published

on

By

Chelsea will make a late attempt to scupper Arsenal’s hopes of finally signing Mikhailo Mudryk from Shakhtar Donetsk.

The Gunners have submitted their third bid for the Ukraine international winger and hope an offer of £62m before add-ons, which take the deal closer to £70m, will be enough to break the deadlock between the two clubs.

Chelsea’s interest in the 21-year-old winger was earlier this week described only as ‘exploratory’ but ESPN now claim that Todd Boehly will test the waters and attempt to throw a spanner in the works for the Premier League leaders.

Shakhtar’s technical director Darijo Srna was pictured at Stamford Bridge last week as he watched Chelsea’s defeat against Manchester City and Boehly would have little issue with meeting an asking price which is closer to £88million.

Arsenal are said to be confident that their latest bid for Mudryk will be enough to finally secure the services of their No.1 January target, but have already been beaten to the punch once this month by their west London rivals.

Chelsea won the race to sign Joao Felix on loan from Atletico Madrid amid competition from Arsenal and Manchester United, but the Portugal international’s promising debut ended in devastating fashion when he was sent off just shy of the hour mark for a dangerous challenge on Fulham’s Kenny Tete.

Felix will now miss the next three games through suspension as the problems mount for Chelsea’s under-fire manager Graham Potter.

‘It sums up where we are at the moment – everything that can go wrong, is going wrong,’ Potter said after Chelsea’s 2-1 west London derby defeat.

‘It was a forward’s tackle from Joao, there was no malice in it but I understand why it was a red. It is another blow the hits keep coming at the moment.

‘He was really good you could see his quality in the game so it is doubly disappointing for us because he was looking dangerous throughout.

‘I don’t think there was too much malice in it and it is an unfortunate action and we are going to lose him now for three games.’

Continue Reading

Trending