Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick has spoken for the first time since Mason Greenwood was suspended by the club.
Greenwood was arrested on Sunday, January 30 on suspicion of rape and sexual assault, before being further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill. He was released on bail on Wednesday, February 2.
When asked about how the situation had affected his squad, Rangnick suggested that players had been speaking about the incident.
“We had a good normal week of training with five training sessions including today’s training,” the German said.
“Obviously it was a topic within the team but they’re human beings and Mason was part of the group before we had our break.
“It was a good week of training, we could train under normal circumstances and we are looking forward to the game tomorrow.”
The interim boss then went on to add that the news surrounding Greenwood played a factor in the decision to prevent Jesse Lingard from leaving the club on deadline day.
He added: “In a way [Greenwood was a factor], yes, but the club told me, the board told me, they couldn’t find an agreement with any clubs interested in him.
“With the window closing Monday evening the board informed me they would rather he stay, so I could understand and accept. It was two things.
“We had a problem with Mason Greenwood and being without a player for the time being who hasn’t played in weeks and the club not finding an agreement with another club.”
United subsequently confirmed that he would not ‘play or train for the club until further notice’ in a statement and have informed supporters they will be able to exchange shirts featuring Greenwood for a new one free of charge.
They said: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.”