Connect with us

Football

Ralf Rangnick reveals private chat with Cristiano Ronaldo that led to him being dropped

Published

on

Ralf Rangnick says he and Cristiano Ronaldo made a joint decision that the five-time Ballon d’Or winner would play no part in Manchester United’s FA Cup clash with Aston Villa.

The pair spoke in private on Sunday before United trained at Carrington.

Ronaldo is suffering with some minor problems and the duo both agreed that the 36-year-old should sit out the third-round tie.

“I spoke with Cristiano yesterday before training,” said Rangnick. “He told me that he had some problems for the last couple of days, some minor problems. In the end, we decided to not take any risks in a cup game that could easily last 120 minutes.”

Rangnick’s admission that he spoke to Ronaldo and made the decision with him suggests the German is trying to avoid a problem that, ultimately, cost Ole Gunnar Solskjaer his job.

See also  VIDEO: Watch Manchester United supporters singing a song about their new coach Erik Ten Hag

Solskjaer dropped Ronaldo for United’s 1-1 draw with Everton, which went down like a lead balloon.

According to The Sun, the Portugal international was furious with Solskjaer’s decision, with a source telling the paper at the time: “Ronaldo was extremely disappointed for being benched.

“Ole presumed that he was tired after the Villarreal game, so he decided to only put him on early in the second half. But Cristiano told him that he will tell him when he isn’t fit to play and that he wants to play in every single league game.

“He also told him that he has come here to win trophies and that United need to play their most important players in all of the games.”

See also  Man United board's three options to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after dire Man City defeat

Sir Alex Ferguson was also overheard questioning Solskjaer’s decision, pointing out that a manager worth his salt always starts his best players.

Solskjaer responded to Ferguson’s comments at the time, saying: “I’m quite relaxed about it but, of course, it’s not really fair on the gaffer that something like this gets broadcast.

“You always have opinions and you speak to people, you speak to people in confidence.

“I disagreed with the gaffer quite a few times and I told my wife quite a few times that I disagreed with him but that never made headlines as a player. I’m sure Sir Alex knows that it doesn’t bother me.

“We all want to see Cristiano. We all want to, because he’s unique, he’s different, he’s had a career and everyone wants to come and watch him. But the plain fact of it is he cannot play every single game that we play, that’s just physical nature, human nature.

See also  Man United ready to hijack Arsenal’s deal to sign Ajax star

“But he knows how difficult this job is anyway, the gaffer. He didn’t always play the same eleven. He took some risks at times to rest Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney or David Beckham, the best players that we had. Sometimes it works, sometimes it didn’t.”

Rangnick’s decision to drop Ronaldo for this Monday’s clash against Villa is unlikely to cause the same uproar experienced by Solskjaer following the Everton game.

But it is interesting all the same that Rangnick discussed his decision with Ronaldo first, and then informed the press of the process to drop the star ahead of the Villa clash.

Football

Report: Chelsea agree personal terms with Inter Milan superstar

Published

on

By

Chelsea look to be closing in on the signing of 19-year-old midfielder Cesare Casadei.

The Blues are reportedly agreeing personal terms with the Inter Milan youngster ahead of what is expected to be a €15m (plus add-ons) transfer. Inter had been looking for around €20m all told.

As per Fabrizio Romano, and others, the highly promising Italy youth international, though who has yet to make his senior professional debut, has agreed a six-year deal with the Blues, choosing Chelsea over the likes of OGC Nice in France and US Sassuolo in Italy.

Presumably, Casadei will not be joining the Chelsea first-team right away, though post-Brexit work permit rules are fairly esoteric and confusing.

See also  Report: Player willing to agree £25.4million contract to join Man United

Perhaps he will end up joining one of the aforementioned teams on loan to build up the necessary professional experience? Just speculating…

See also  Club 'expecting' Man United to submit 'new proposal for player soon'

While the two teams have yet to agree a transfer, this looks to be drawing to a successful conclusion for us, adding yet another teenager talent to the team as we look to build for not only this season but for many seasons in the future.

See also  Manchester United now in talks to sign ‘amazing’ £38m ace who has been compared to Xavi
Continue Reading

Football

Mikel Arteta drops Youri Tielemans hint as Arsenal can sign ‘more complete’ N’Golo Kante

Published

on

By

Today’s Arsenal transfer round-up on Tuesday, August 16.

Tielemans hint

Mikel Arteta’s increased use of Granit Xhaka could mean that Arsenal are close to giving up on transfer target Youri Tielemans.

The Gunners are still chasing a deal for the Leicester City midfielder but have seen their chances dwindle of doing a deal this summer and now, despite Xhaka previously saying he had come close to leaving, the club could have to do without a new addition.

Xhaka is now part of a new leadership group at the Emirates Stadium, a possible indication that he may remain at the club and throw a move for Tielemans into doubt.

See also  Man Utd target move to sign £40m star after Sir Alex Ferguson's recommendation

Kante replacement

With Tielemans becoming less and less attainable this season, Arsenal have reportedly turned their attention elsewhere.

According to the Express, Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo is attracting interest from some of Europe’s top clubs including the Gunners and Manchester United. Having been previously compared with Kante, Arsenal’s desire to sign Caicedo is understandable.

See also  Manchester United now in talks to sign ‘amazing’ £38m ace who has been compared to Xavi

South American football expert Tim Vickery said, “A year ago he was saying that Kante of Chelsea is his role model but he is already more than that. He already offers more in the final third.”

Yeremi Pino flight explained

Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has cleared the air regarding Yeremi Pino and denies that a bid has been made for him.

Romano told CaughtOffside, “Many clubs have been following Yeremi Pino for months, he is a top player of the future that at least three Premier League clubs have been monitoring for some time.

See also  Club 'expecting' Man United to submit 'new proposal for player soon'

“No proposals have been made yet to Villarreal, who would like more than €50m for their young star; it will not be an easy negotiation.

“As for the rumours about Arsenal – Edu was not travelling to Spain to meet Villarreal, also because Pino’s agents are based in the UK (Stellar Group).”

Continue Reading

Football

Erik Ten Hag believes £64,000 a week player will agree to join Man United – Report

Published

on

By

Despite signing two defenders this summer, Manchester United’s backline has been terrible this season and yet another defender is linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Yesterday, we covered a story (via Sport) claiming that the Red Devils have submitted an offer to sign Sergino Dest, who has received a clear message to leave Barcelona.

Today, the Spanish news source have covered another report and stated that the American international has not been able to impress in the last two years, moreover, he failed to convince Xavi in pre-season. Therefore, his exit is considered essential.

See also  Man United's salary for center-back emerges as club 'work on other options'

Erik ten Hag wants to get rid of Aaron Wan-Bissaka this summer so that he can complete the signing of Dest, who is valued at 20 million euros.

The Catalan media outlet claim the Dutch manager believes that the 21-year-old Barca defender will agree (say Yes) to join Man United.

See also  VIDEO: Watch Manchester United supporters singing a song about their new coach Erik Ten Hag

Ten Hag really needs to understand that players from the Netherlands or connections with Ajax are not guaranteed to solve the conundrum at Old Trafford.

Under Van Gaal, Depay and Blind failed to shine for Man United. For Ten Hag, thus far, the likes of Eriksen, Martinez and Malacia have not settled.

See also  Man United board's three options to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after dire Man City defeat

Now, he is pushing to sign another ex Ajax player in the form of Dest. The American was a hit in the Eredivisie but has proved to be average in the La Liga.

The youngster’s current contract at the Nou Camp will expire in 2025 and he earns around £64,000 a week (The Sun).

Continue Reading

Trending