Connect with us

Football

Robert Lewandowski has already said what Thomas Tuchel wants to hear amid Chelsea transfer links

Published

on

Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has already admitted that he would relish the opportunity to play in the Premier League, amid reports linking him with a move to Chelsea.

The Blues, who beat Peterborough United 6-1 in their first pre-season friendly on Saturday at their Cobham training base, are desperate to add a new striker to their ranks this summer to solve their goal-scoring issues.

Borussia Dortmund star Erling Haaland, who scored 41 goals in 41 appearances in all competitions last term, has been sitting right at the very top of head coach Thomas Tuchel’s wish list for several months.

But the prospect of him making the move to Stamford Bridge is appearing impossible to judge.

See also  Thomas Tuchel keeping PSG secret from Chelsea players ahead of Champions League final

Chelsea are willing to spend big to make a deal possible, but Dortmund, unsurprisingly, are reluctant to lose him, especially when they are on the cusp of losing Jadon Sancho to Manchester United.

However, Chelsea are seemingly keeping their options open, so much so that they are now, according to reports, weighing up a big-money move for Lewandowski, with it being claimed that the club is considering a £50million deal.

Like Dortmund, Bayern do not wish to sell Lewandowski this summer, but signing the Poland international could prove to be a lot more straightforward than trying to land Haaland.

As well as that, Lewandowski has already admitted that he would like to play in England one day, admitting that it would be a “great experience.”

See also  Chelsea's forgotten man sends transfer reminder to Thomas Tuchel after World Cup exploits

“I will be able to sign a contract [with any club] in January, but I have never said that I will sign a contract with Bayern,” Lewandowski told The Telegraph all the way back in 2013.

“It was a misunderstanding. It is true I had an opportunity to speak with Sir Alex Ferguson [ in 2012], but we didn’t mention the transfer.

“One day I would like to play in Premier League. It would be a great experience.”

Although more than eight years have now gone by since Lewandowski made that statement, his desire to test himself in England may still be there.

See also  Ashley Cole fears Tuchel making same Chelsea mistakes as Lampard after FA Cup final loss

At 32-years-old, the opportunity to move abroad and experience playing in the Premier League could be tempting.

Of course, no shortage of Chelsea supporters would like to see the club sign Haaland this summer, but Lewandowski would be a more than impressive alternative.

He would be cheaper and his admission about wishing to play in England could hand Chelsea a huge boost in their hopes of making a deal possible.

He is under contract at Bayern until the summer of 2023, meaning it would take a big bid to lure him away from the German heavyweights.

Chelsea

Tuchel hands 22-year-old his first Chelsea start – predicted starting XI against Leeds this weekend

Published

on

Chelsea will look to get back to winning ways in Sunday’s game against Leeds United at Elland Road.

The Blues dominated proceedings in the London derby against Spurs last week, however only came out of things with a point following Harry Kane’s late equaliser.

Thomas Tuchel operated a fluid and unique system at Stamford Bridge, with Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Mason Mount especially thriving in the new look system.

However, the Blues could turn back to the recognised back three this weekend, with our predicted lineup for the game against Leeds.

GK and Defence

Edouard Mendy made a brilliant save just before Spurs’ late equaliser at the end, and his position in the squad is more than secure for this one.

See also  Man United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer warned he faces 'third problem' because of Thomas Tuchel

With there still being no breakthrough on the Wesley Fofana front, Cesar Azpilicueta will return to the starting lineup as captain at Elland Road.

Fixtures are yet to pick up in the early stages of the season, so Thiago Silva should still be fresh and okay to participate again.

The centre-backs will be completed by Kalidou Koulibaly, who showed his quality again in an emphatic display against Spurs.

Midfield

Reece James scored almost instantly after being moved back to wing-back on Sunday, and the Blues will look to get the attacking best out of him on Sunday.

See also  VIDEO: Watch Timo Werner's unbelievable strike from outside the box against Arsenal

Jorginho may have been at fault for the first conceded goal last week, although his great performance will still see him start again against Leeds.

Injuries have ruled N’golo Kante and likely Mateo Kovacic out of the game, there is a big choice to be made to partner the Italy internatonal. While Ruben Loftus-Cheek starred against Spurs, Conor Gallagher will be chosen to partner in midfield, being handed his first start for the club.

Marc Cucurella will look to build on his impressive performance last week with another start against Leeds, with Ben Chilwell still not quite at match fitness.

See also  Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has plan for Jules Kounde which is bad news for three players

Attack

The Chelsea attack will have a familiar look to the last two weeks, with Mason Mount occupying the free-roaming role in the attack against an opponent he has had a lot of success against before.

Raheem Sterling will try again in his quest to open his Chelsea league account, with him missing a glorious chance last week.

Kai Havertz is another man who missed a great opportunity to win the game for the Blues at the weekend, although his work in the front three was enough to see him start again.

Continue Reading

Football

Atletico Madrid do not want to pay €40 million for Barcelona attacker

Published

on

Atletico Madrid are in a precarious situation in regards to their ownership of Antoine Griezmann.

The Spanish giants had signed the Barcelona forward on a two-year loan deal last summer. The contract included a mandatory purchase option worth €40 million if the player features in 50% of the matches with a minimum of 45 minutes between the games across two seasons.

Last season, Griezmann featured in 82.5% of the matches, meaning Atletico Madrid may have to virtually leave him out on the bench throughout the 2022/23 campaign if they are to avoid paying the fee for the Frenchman in 2023.

See also  Chelsea's forgotten man sends transfer reminder to Thomas Tuchel after World Cup exploits

However, with Luis Suarez leaving the club, Atletico Madrid consider Griezmann a viable part of the club’s attacking unit and Los Colchoneros must get the best out of him, if they are to regain their lost status in the title race in this new season.

At the same time, the club are not too keen on meeting the mandatory €40 million purchase clause set on Griezmann’s contract. This has been reported by Mundo Deportivo which suggests the club are looking to reduce the overall valuation of the clause.

While Barcelona are yet to respond to Atletico’s overtures, there is a clear indication that the capital club have no intention to pay anywhere near the €40 million for the services of Griezmann, who was barely even a starter for Diego Simeone’s men last season

See also  46-year-old has just taken a 'step closer' to buying Chelsea as clear favourite now emerges

The Frenchman was even left out on the bench in Atletico’s opening game against Getafe. However, coming on as a substitute in the final half an hour, the attacker was able to break his scoring duck by netting the third goal in a 3-0 victory.

See also  Erling Haaland ‘keen to join Chelsea because of two factors' as details of bid emerge

It will be interesting to see whether the little cameo compels Simeone to start him in future matches, although his performances should not deter Atletico Madrid from their attempts to lower the price tag of the star striker.

Continue Reading

Chelsea

Barcelona star’s move to Chelsea is now ‘heating up’ – report

Published

on

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang could be close to securing a move to Chelsea from FC Barcelona, with the move now heating up, reports Victor Navarro on COPE.

Aubameyang joined Barça only eight months ago, arriving as a free agent from Arsenal in January. He helped the Catalans finish second in La Liga last season and finished the campaign as the club’s joint top scorer in all competitions along with Memphis Depay

And, Barcelona could now lose both their top scorers this summer. Depay is closing in on a move to Juventus, having reportedly agreed a two-year contract with the Italian giants.

See also  Erling Haaland ‘keen to join Chelsea because of two factors' as details of bid emerge

And now Aubameyang could be on his way to Chelsea imminently, with the move ‘heating up’ recently. The Blues have made the 33-year-old Gabonese striker their top target after losing both Timo Werner and Romelu Lukaku.

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel enjoyed a successful relationship with Aubameyang during their time at Borussia Dortmund and is now pushing for a reunion.

Reports earlier on Thursday indicated that Chelsea were planning to submit a formal offer for the former Arsenal captain imminently.

See also  Chelsea ‘have made Harry Kane a primary transfer target’ as Tottenham scramble in panic

Now, Victor Navarro is claiming that the two clubs are negotiating over the transfer of the 33-year-old, with all parties intent on getting the move over the line.

Barcelona need to get rid of players so that they can register Jules Kounde and make more additions, with a new right-back and left-back on the club’s agenda.

The departure of Depay alone will not be enough to register Kounde. And with Frenkie de Jong unwilling to leave and no offers arriving for Sergino Dest yet, Aubameyang’s exit seems the best option for Barça.

See also  46-year-old has just taken a 'step closer' to buying Chelsea as clear favourite now emerges

The ex-Arsenal superstar has fallen down the pecking order at Camp Nou this season following the arrival of Robert Lewandowski. A move to Stamford Bridge could see him become the first-choice striker and enjoy regular game-time.

Continue Reading

Trending