Connect with us

Football

Roy Keane and Jamie Carragher in disagreement over Man United’s Ralf Rangnick decision

Published

on

Former Manchester United skipper Roy Keane has criticised the Red Devils’ decision to appoint an interim manager rather than a permanent successor to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Ralf Rangnick is expected to be announced as United boss until the end of the season, when the Premier League giants will finally make a long-term appointment.

The German is renowned as one of the godfathers of modern coaching, having played a key influence on top managers such as Jurgen Klopp and Thomas Tuchel.

He will arrive at Old Trafford with a remit to turn around their form quickly, with United currently languishing in ninth following embarrassing defeats to Liverpool, Manchester City and Watford.

Solskjaer paid the price for those defeats and was sacked the morning after the 4-1 loss at the Hornets last Sunday.

United made it clear when they sacked the Norwegian that an interim appointment would be their preferred method of replacing him.

See also  Cristiano Ronaldo angrily storms off pitch after Man United and Everton Premier League draw

And that has led them to Rangnick, who has previously helped to turn RB Leipzig into powerhouses in the Bundesliga.

Keane though believes that it is the players who should hold the responsibility for recent results and questioned the decision to appoint Rangnick as an interim boss.

“First of all, it was disappointing for Ole to finish in such a low obviously going through a difficult time the Watford result was really poor and the performance,” he told Sky Sports.

“Obviously, I’ve argued with Jamie about a manager getting enough time and Ole did get enough time and the results and the performances over the last couple of months have been really poor.

“So, there was no real surprise after the Watford game but the club now have to regroup, get somebody in and get the deed over the line.

See also  Man United set to snub Sir Alex Ferguson's transfer advice and take Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's

“I don’t think it’s ideal this interim stuff until the end of the season but it is what it is and they have to get on with it.

“But ultimately, when I look at the last few performances from the players, they’re nowhere near good enough for Man United but the manager paid the price.”

Liverpool icon Jamie Carragher disagreed with his fellow pundit though, insisting that the appointment of Rangnick is a positive step for the Red Devils.

“I think the appointment of who it looks like they’re going to bring in is a positive step in terms of how he wants the football played now the top teams all play that way,” he told Sky Sports.

See also  Erik ten Hag can complete first Man United transfer by fulfilling target's "dream"

“The way this guy wants his teams to play going back 20 years since he started coaching so I think it’s positive.

“Nobody has to play the same way but top level football is played like that. United were a million miles away from that.

“I think this guy is coming in, Ralf Rangnick will make sure United get in the Champions League next season.

“But the biggest job he has it to identify the next coach his role will be taking away from the people at the top and they will take advice from him. He will want the next coach to be in his mould.”

Football

Report: Arsenal now really Keen to sign ‘Astonishing’ attacker who scored more goals than Gabriel Jesus last season

Published

on

By

According to But Football Club, Arsenal want to sign Bayer Leverkusen and France winger Moussa Diaby before the transfer window shuts.

The Gunners are looking for a new wide player. Raphinha was high on their wish list and Mikel Arteta tried really hard to bring him in. The Brazilian, however, joined Barcelona for £55 million (Sky Sports) instead, and Arsenal have now apparently turned their attention to Diaby.

Arsenal really keen to sign Moussa Diaby from Bayer Leverkusen

Diaby is one of the finest players in the Bundesliga.

See also  Man United set to snub Sir Alex Ferguson's transfer advice and take Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's

The 23-year-old France international scored 17 goals and provided 14 assists in all competitions, which is a truly sensational return for a wide player.

His performances have caught the eye of a number of clubs, including Arteta’s Arsenal. The report claims that Diaby ‘strongly appeals’ to the Gunners boss, who is really keen to bring in a new winger before the window shuts.

The ‘astonishing‘ winger has come out and claimed that he wants to stay at Leverkusen this season, while the German outfit are keen to retain his services too.

See also  Two major reasons why Manchester United will defeat Tottenham Hotspur this weekend

However, the report claims that if an offer in the region of £59.2 million arrives, they will let him go.

Arsenal don’t intend to pay that figure, but the report claims they will try to negotiate a deal for a lower fee.

Diaby still has three years left on his contract at Leverkusen.

Diaby really is a sensational player.

31 goal involvements in a single campaign for a 23-year-old wide player is a truly sensational return.

See also  Man United working on deals before January deadline as Ralf Rangnick confirms 'negotiations'

Even Gabriel Jesus, who is viewed as the answer to Arsenal’s goalscoring woes, didn’t score as many goals as Frenchman last season.

Arsenal’s backup winger at the moment is Nicolas Pepe. The Ivorian, on his day, is unplayable, but sadly for Arsenal supporters, those days have rarely ever occurred over the last three years.

Diaby would be a massive upgrade over Pepe, but whether Arsenal can lure him in remains to be seen.

Continue Reading

Football

Report: Star ready to join Man United now wants £33.7million contract

Published

on

By

The latest reports in the media are anything to go by and Adrien Rabiot’s mother-agent, Veronique, is proving to be a difficult negotiator.

Last night, we covered a story (via La Gazzetta Dello Sport) claiming that the French international has demanded a three-year deal worth £25.4million to move to Old Trafford.

This morning, as per Corriere dello Sport (news image provided below), the Red Devils have agreed a fee worth 17-18 million euros with Juventus but the dilemma is that the agreement with the player is still missing.

See also  Man United set to snub Sir Alex Ferguson's transfer advice and take Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's

Ten Hag contacted Rabiot to convince him to join Man Utd which is why the midfielder became willing to negotiate personal terms.

However, Veronique now wants a four-year contract worth 40 million euros (£33.7million) for his son and the negotiations have slowed down.

See also  Jose Mourinho has already solved £68.5m problem for Ralf Rangnick and Manchester United

Manchester United’s midfield department is in desperate need of reinforcements and Ten Hag may end up losing out on signing Frenkie de Jong to Chelsea.

The last big signing for the central midfield was done back in 2018 when Mourinho splashed the cash to lure Fred from Shakhtar. The Red Devils must act fast to strengthen things in the center of the park.

See also  PL boss overtakes Pochettino as no. 1 favourite to become new Man United boss

Rabiot is neither as creative as Pogba nor as versatile as De Jong. However, he has experience of winning big titles with PSG and Juventus and even with France. So, in all fairness, he would be an upgrade to McFred.

Continue Reading

Football

Man United pushing for Pogba replacement in more ways than one

Published

on

By

Manchester United may be about to take on another troublesome Frenchman, having just gotten rid of one.

The departures of Paul Pogba and others this summer have left new manager Erik ten Hag with a bare cupboard in terms of midfield options.

United have turned to Juventus outcast Adrien Rabiot, who is available for £15 million, after failing to secure Frenkie de Jong, the Ten Hag’s top transfer target, from Barcelona.

Rabiot, 27, isn’t particularly popular at Juventus and hasn’t replicated the form that established his reputation during the seven years he spent at PSG before that.

But it isn’t just on-field sluggishness that has harmed the reputation of a player who was once regarded as France’s golden boy.

Off-field squabbles and indiscretions, not only by Rabiot but also by his formidable mother and agent Veronique, have earned him a reputation as a difficult customer in the game.

See also  Manchester United ‘charging again’ to sign player – Belief ‘the right moment’ has arrived

However, Ten Hag and United are becoming increasingly desperate. Despite the club’s insistence that their interest in Rabiot was firm prior to Sunday’s season-opening loss to Brighton, the timing appears to be a reactionary move.

And Rabiot’s rap sheet contains numerous items that could cause United to live to regret their decision.

Rabiot was on the verge of breaking into the PSG senior squad after graduating from their academy in 2012.

Rabiot was supposed to travel to Qatar with the team for a mid-season tour, but his mother insisted on accompanying him.

Veronique, Rabiot’s uncompromising agent, enters the picture. After his father, Michel Provost, suffered a stroke in 2007 that left him with locked-in syndrome, she took over his career. Michel is paralysed but fully aware.

See also  Man United set to snub Sir Alex Ferguson's transfer advice and take Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's

Her insistence on accompanying the tour caused friction, and Rabiot was eventually loaned out to Toulouse.

Even stranger, she allegedly insisted on attending all of their training sessions while there.

Two years later, Rabiot was on the verge of leaving PSG after Laurent Blanc demoted him to the reserves.

Veronique was waiting for Blanc as he left PSG’s Camp des Loges training facility one evening.

‘You can’t treat him like that. ‘I’m not going to agree to that,’ Blanc was told, presumably forcefully.

PSG had no choice but to call in security, but the confrontation appeared to work.

See also  Man United working on deals before January deadline as Ralf Rangnick confirms 'negotiations'

Rabiot’s contract with PSG was renewed – and on better terms – not long after he failed to secure a move to Roma.

France’s hopes of adding the European Championship to their World Cup glory last year ended when they lost on penalties to Switzerland in the last-16.

Afterwards, an extraordinary video emerged of Veronique confronting Mbappe’s father, Wilfried, after the PSG striker missed the decisive spot-kick.

It is thought she said: ‘It is embarrassing how he struck that, for a player of his level. He hit it too lightly, I hope you are going to scold him.’

Apparently during an earlier discussion, Veronique told Wilfried his son was ‘arrogant’, has a ‘big head’ and gets ‘too much protection from the press.’

Continue Reading

Trending