Connect with us

Football

Thomas Tuchel reacts to potential Saudi Arabia bid for Chelsea

Published

on

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has reacted to rumours of a bid from Saudi Arabia and has suggested he would rather the new owners are less controversial so he can get back to simply being a coach.

Roman Abramovich is currently in the process of selling the west London club after being sanctioned by the UK government and has instructed US merchant bank Raine to oversee the process, with Friday’s deadline for bids fast approaching.

On Monday, reports emerged suggesting Saudi Media Group had made a £2.7billion offer for Chelsea, though that could generate even more controversy for the club.

The Premier League faced a massive backlash when Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund were allowed to buy Newcastle United, with LGBTQ+ rights not recognised in the country and their human rights records under increasing scrutiny.

Over the weekend, Saudi Arabia executed 81 men on charges which included ‘holding deviant beliefs’, though when Newcastle manager Eddie Howe was questioned about it he said he preferred to ‘stick to football’.

See also  Sevilla boss Julen Lopetegui explains why Chelsea failed with summer transfer move for Jules Kounde

If the Saudi Arabia bid for Chelsea is successful, and avoids any conflict of interest with Newcastle, Tuchel – like Howe – will undoubtedly face yet more political questions after weeks of dealing with the Abramovich fallout on behalf of the west London club’s so far silent hierarchy.

While the German coach would prefer for that not to be the case, he suggested journalists should be directing their questions at the people responsible for determining who is ‘fit and proper’ to own a football club.

Asked if Saudi Arabian ownership would mean he needs to continue his role as a Chelsea ‘ambassador’ and result in more non-football questions, Tuchel replied: ‘Yeah, but before we discuss a new owner a new owner needs to arrive.

See also  ‘At the moment’: Sky journalist names the two bidders who are currently leading the way to buy Chelsea

‘And a new owner needs to be approved and a new owner needs to be allowed to own the football club, and then we can discuss about it if it’s necessary to discuss about it.

‘But then again, maybe I’m not the right person because there is a process about how you become an owner in this league.

‘And, of course, like I said to you after the last game, everybody relies on the reliability of the process and on the values which are behind the decision and the permission to own a club and to run a club.

‘Did I have a choice [to become an ambassador for Chelsea]? No I did not have a choice to also take this role. Do I need it? No.

‘But listen, it’s more or less day-by-day. It’s like this in England that not a lot of people in general in sports are talking at a football club. It’s a structure that I really appreciate, we talk inside. Of course we have people who are in charge of different roles and different responsibilities.

See also  Chelsea unveiled Premier League squad as out of favour Star surprisingly included

‘But to the outside it’s more or less just me who talks. Was it always comfortable? No. But I think it’s necessary.

‘I don’t think too much about it. I try to be honest and I try to give you an insight and I try to provide you with information, but more or less still from a sporting side, and from a coach’s heart.

‘This is what I try and this is maybe what you can rely on. And I’m more than happy if things calm down and we can talk more about football – more than happy.’

Football

Report: Arsenal now really Keen to sign ‘Astonishing’ attacker who scored more goals than Gabriel Jesus last season

Published

on

By

According to But Football Club, Arsenal want to sign Bayer Leverkusen and France winger Moussa Diaby before the transfer window shuts.

The Gunners are looking for a new wide player. Raphinha was high on their wish list and Mikel Arteta tried really hard to bring him in. The Brazilian, however, joined Barcelona for £55 million (Sky Sports) instead, and Arsenal have now apparently turned their attention to Diaby.

Arsenal really keen to sign Moussa Diaby from Bayer Leverkusen

Diaby is one of the finest players in the Bundesliga.

See also  Gary Neville sends strong message to UK Government over Chelsea 'going bust'

The 23-year-old France international scored 17 goals and provided 14 assists in all competitions, which is a truly sensational return for a wide player.

His performances have caught the eye of a number of clubs, including Arteta’s Arsenal. The report claims that Diaby ‘strongly appeals’ to the Gunners boss, who is really keen to bring in a new winger before the window shuts.

The ‘astonishing‘ winger has come out and claimed that he wants to stay at Leverkusen this season, while the German outfit are keen to retain his services too.

See also  Chelsea unveiled Premier League squad as out of favour Star surprisingly included

However, the report claims that if an offer in the region of £59.2 million arrives, they will let him go.

Arsenal don’t intend to pay that figure, but the report claims they will try to negotiate a deal for a lower fee.

Diaby still has three years left on his contract at Leverkusen.

Diaby really is a sensational player.

31 goal involvements in a single campaign for a 23-year-old wide player is a truly sensational return.

See also  Chelsea shirt numbers Antoine Griezmann could wear with Barcelona ‘to offer deal’

Even Gabriel Jesus, who is viewed as the answer to Arsenal’s goalscoring woes, didn’t score as many goals as Frenchman last season.

Arsenal’s backup winger at the moment is Nicolas Pepe. The Ivorian, on his day, is unplayable, but sadly for Arsenal supporters, those days have rarely ever occurred over the last three years.

Diaby would be a massive upgrade over Pepe, but whether Arsenal can lure him in remains to be seen.

Continue Reading

Football

Report: Star ready to join Man United now wants £33.7million contract

Published

on

By

The latest reports in the media are anything to go by and Adrien Rabiot’s mother-agent, Veronique, is proving to be a difficult negotiator.

Last night, we covered a story (via La Gazzetta Dello Sport) claiming that the French international has demanded a three-year deal worth £25.4million to move to Old Trafford.

This morning, as per Corriere dello Sport (news image provided below), the Red Devils have agreed a fee worth 17-18 million euros with Juventus but the dilemma is that the agreement with the player is still missing.

See also  WATCH: Ruben Loftus-Cheek goal disallowed after unbelievable VAR call

Ten Hag contacted Rabiot to convince him to join Man Utd which is why the midfielder became willing to negotiate personal terms.

However, Veronique now wants a four-year contract worth 40 million euros (£33.7million) for his son and the negotiations have slowed down.

See also  Sevilla boss Julen Lopetegui explains why Chelsea failed with summer transfer move for Jules Kounde

Manchester United’s midfield department is in desperate need of reinforcements and Ten Hag may end up losing out on signing Frenkie de Jong to Chelsea.

The last big signing for the central midfield was done back in 2018 when Mourinho splashed the cash to lure Fred from Shakhtar. The Red Devils must act fast to strengthen things in the center of the park.

See also  Chelsea FC making progress in talks to sign player they've wanted all the summer

Rabiot is neither as creative as Pogba nor as versatile as De Jong. However, he has experience of winning big titles with PSG and Juventus and even with France. So, in all fairness, he would be an upgrade to McFred.

Continue Reading

Football

Man United pushing for Pogba replacement in more ways than one

Published

on

By

Manchester United may be about to take on another troublesome Frenchman, having just gotten rid of one.

The departures of Paul Pogba and others this summer have left new manager Erik ten Hag with a bare cupboard in terms of midfield options.

United have turned to Juventus outcast Adrien Rabiot, who is available for £15 million, after failing to secure Frenkie de Jong, the Ten Hag’s top transfer target, from Barcelona.

Rabiot, 27, isn’t particularly popular at Juventus and hasn’t replicated the form that established his reputation during the seven years he spent at PSG before that.

But it isn’t just on-field sluggishness that has harmed the reputation of a player who was once regarded as France’s golden boy.

Off-field squabbles and indiscretions, not only by Rabiot but also by his formidable mother and agent Veronique, have earned him a reputation as a difficult customer in the game.

See also  Chelsea shirt numbers Antoine Griezmann could wear with Barcelona ‘to offer deal’

However, Ten Hag and United are becoming increasingly desperate. Despite the club’s insistence that their interest in Rabiot was firm prior to Sunday’s season-opening loss to Brighton, the timing appears to be a reactionary move.

And Rabiot’s rap sheet contains numerous items that could cause United to live to regret their decision.

Rabiot was on the verge of breaking into the PSG senior squad after graduating from their academy in 2012.

Rabiot was supposed to travel to Qatar with the team for a mid-season tour, but his mother insisted on accompanying him.

Veronique, Rabiot’s uncompromising agent, enters the picture. After his father, Michel Provost, suffered a stroke in 2007 that left him with locked-in syndrome, she took over his career. Michel is paralysed but fully aware.

See also  ‘At the moment’: Sky journalist names the two bidders who are currently leading the way to buy Chelsea

Her insistence on accompanying the tour caused friction, and Rabiot was eventually loaned out to Toulouse.

Even stranger, she allegedly insisted on attending all of their training sessions while there.

Two years later, Rabiot was on the verge of leaving PSG after Laurent Blanc demoted him to the reserves.

Veronique was waiting for Blanc as he left PSG’s Camp des Loges training facility one evening.

‘You can’t treat him like that. ‘I’m not going to agree to that,’ Blanc was told, presumably forcefully.

PSG had no choice but to call in security, but the confrontation appeared to work.

See also  Sevilla boss Julen Lopetegui explains why Chelsea failed with summer transfer move for Jules Kounde

Rabiot’s contract with PSG was renewed – and on better terms – not long after he failed to secure a move to Roma.

France’s hopes of adding the European Championship to their World Cup glory last year ended when they lost on penalties to Switzerland in the last-16.

Afterwards, an extraordinary video emerged of Veronique confronting Mbappe’s father, Wilfried, after the PSG striker missed the decisive spot-kick.

It is thought she said: ‘It is embarrassing how he struck that, for a player of his level. He hit it too lightly, I hope you are going to scold him.’

Apparently during an earlier discussion, Veronique told Wilfried his son was ‘arrogant’, has a ‘big head’ and gets ‘too much protection from the press.’

Continue Reading

Trending