Connect with us

Football

What Man United star Marcus Rashford told club bosses after showdown talks

Published

on

Manchester United star Marcus Rashford reportedly told club bosses he was committed to the club despite his off-field actions and alarming dip in form.

The England international has scored just three goals this season. And his poor performance against Aston Villa on Monday means he’s now gone 11 matches without finding the net.

Manchester United thought Rashford would return to action significantly improved after the 24-year-old had shoulder surgery back in the summer.

But, though the England international registered goals against Leicester and Atalanta, he’s continued to toil.

Rashford was a major weak link for United on Monday night against Aston Villa, with the England international putting in a subdued performance.

According to the Daily Star, he’s now held crunch talks with club bosses.

During those talks, Rashford apparently made it clear he was fully committed to the club at the current moment in time.

However, amid some concerns his off-field work is beginning to impact his current form, he also insisted he was determined to press on with his charity work.

Rashford won the hearts of the nation during the pandemic when he forced Boris Johnson into extending free school meals for children.

He’s also done his utmost to ensure the meals are up to scratch, responding to complaints on social media.

United think Rashford can become an iconic player at Old Trafford, despite his current issues.

They’re also hoping to tie him down to a new contract, with the forward tied to the club until 2023.

Rashford recently insisted he had no issue with life at United, despite some accusing him of sulking on the field.

With the club’s woes worsening, he can be forgiven for contemplating whether there are better adventures out there.

But Rashford hit back by saying: “I read something earlier that said I’d been quiet on here but what can I say that will make this better other than showing you all on the pitch?

“We’ve all been disappointed with recent performances and we’ve been as disappointed with the news coverage questioning our commitment to not only the manager and the coaching staff but the club.

“I have endless respect for both and I’m looking forward to bettering my game under the staff at Manchester United.

“I’m not sulking, I’m not unhappy, am I disappointed in some of my recent performances? Of course I am.

“I’m my own biggest critic. It’s been a tough start but I’m determined to prove my worth.

“My dedication and my desire to be here should never been in question. I love this club.”

Rangnick was quizzed on Rashford after the player’s issues against Villa.

But the German insisted he didn’t see any issues with the England star and insisted he warranted a place in his team based on training.

“Actually I don’t know,” he said when asked why Rashford was struggling.

“I think he’s trying hard. In training he was doing well in the last couple of days, that’s why he was quite rightly in the starting XI.

“I think in the first half we found him quite often, but we also tried to get him into the box.

“In the second half that was not that often the case and that’s why at the end of the game I decided to make two changes with Anthony Elanga and Jesse Lingard.

“It was very important to progress into the next round. Yes (confidence is important) especially for strikers – it’s important that they score goals on and off, that there are moments of success.

“Of course it would be good, for example, for Marcus if he could score a goal but as long as he’s trying, as long as he’s training well I don’t see that much of a problem.”

Football

Rio Ferdinand issues major warning about Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag

Published

on

By

Former centre-back Rio Ferdinand believes it is still too early to judge whether Erik ten Hag is the right man to lead Manchester United back to the top, despite their unquestionable improvement under him this season.

United head into tomorrow’s Manchester derby against City at Old Trafford with the knowledge that a win will lift them to within a point and place of their neighbours in the Premier League table.

The Reds have lost just one of their last 18 matches since being battered 6-3 by City back in October, featuring a current run of eight wins on the bounce.

The Reds, such is the level of progress they have made under Ten Hag this season, are now considered as one of the favourites to qualify for the Champions League for next season.

They have made significant strides in a relatively short space of time and victories over the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur already this season have proven that they are capable of competing in the upper echelons of the table again.

However, despite heading into the second half of the campaign with form in their sails, Ferdinand insists the jury is still out on Ten Hag, despite him reaching 20 wins as United manager quick than any of his predecessors.

“I think it’s too early to say,” said Ferdinand to the Mirror. “We’ve been here with previous managers when it looks like we are onto something.

“We’ve got to be patient and give the man time. I think all the signs are very positive at the moment. He’s come in and seen what is happening, assessed how things are, looked at individuals and looked at the shape of the team.

“These were a bunch of players that were quite low. They were shot to pieces and he’s had to build, not only footballers, but men back up again. He’s had to build a lot of human beings back up and that takes time.

“The fact he’s now talking about qualifying for the Champions League so positively, he can sense a confidence coming back into this team. There’s a consistency of performance from the team that wasn’t there before and the signals and signs are all very promising.

“But they’re still not where they want to be. City are way ahead of where United are. The distance is a bit closer, but it’s still not anywhere near where we want it to be. There’s still work to be done.”

Continue Reading

Football

Manchester United takeover bids ‘expected imminently’ with serious interest in Club

Published

on

By

Manchester United are expecting takeover offers from across the world as they are set to invite bids ahead of ‘mid-February deadline’.

The Telegraph have reported that the club have received ‘serious interest’ from consortiums based in the Middle East, Asia and the United States.

British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe is also weighing up an offer, as the Glazers hope to the sell one of the biggest clubs in the world for over £5billion.

The report also adds that parties who had been interested in taking over Chelsea, before Todd Boehly’s £4.25bn takeover, are set to return with approaches for the Red Devils.

It’s expected that potential investors will go public with their attempts to buy United in the coming weeks with the clock ‘now ticking on a deal’.

Senior United figures will issue a mid February deadline for formal offers in order to help get get the takeover completed before the end of the season.

Continue Reading

Football

Confirmed: Chelsea ready to make late bid to hijack another Arsenal transfer

Published

on

By

Chelsea will make a late attempt to scupper Arsenal’s hopes of finally signing Mikhailo Mudryk from Shakhtar Donetsk.

The Gunners have submitted their third bid for the Ukraine international winger and hope an offer of £62m before add-ons, which take the deal closer to £70m, will be enough to break the deadlock between the two clubs.

Chelsea’s interest in the 21-year-old winger was earlier this week described only as ‘exploratory’ but ESPN now claim that Todd Boehly will test the waters and attempt to throw a spanner in the works for the Premier League leaders.

Shakhtar’s technical director Darijo Srna was pictured at Stamford Bridge last week as he watched Chelsea’s defeat against Manchester City and Boehly would have little issue with meeting an asking price which is closer to £88million.

Arsenal are said to be confident that their latest bid for Mudryk will be enough to finally secure the services of their No.1 January target, but have already been beaten to the punch once this month by their west London rivals.

Chelsea won the race to sign Joao Felix on loan from Atletico Madrid amid competition from Arsenal and Manchester United, but the Portugal international’s promising debut ended in devastating fashion when he was sent off just shy of the hour mark for a dangerous challenge on Fulham’s Kenny Tete.

Felix will now miss the next three games through suspension as the problems mount for Chelsea’s under-fire manager Graham Potter.

‘It sums up where we are at the moment – everything that can go wrong, is going wrong,’ Potter said after Chelsea’s 2-1 west London derby defeat.

‘It was a forward’s tackle from Joao, there was no malice in it but I understand why it was a red. It is another blow the hits keep coming at the moment.

‘He was really good you could see his quality in the game so it is doubly disappointing for us because he was looking dangerous throughout.

‘I don’t think there was too much malice in it and it is an unfortunate action and we are going to lose him now for three games.’

Continue Reading

Trending